1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Can I disable or Do I need to disable 4g Radio? (No 4G coverage available here)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DroidGnome, Jun 4, 2010.

1. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    Ok just got my Evo and going through all the settings, I noticed the 4G setting constantly says "Turning On"... does that mean it's spending battery life trying to find a signal?

If so, how do I disable the 4g antenna completely? (4G coverage is not available where I live). Everything is 'grey' and pressing the icon in the widget, nor settings seems to have any effect.

Or is this not even necessary?

Advertisement

2. mikevember

mikevember Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > 4G

3. DroidGnome

May 25, 2010
    Thank you but as posted.. I see where the setting IS... but that wasn't my question :)

On that menu the 'status' of the 4g radio is listed as "Turning on" constantly...

4. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    New Joisey
    Sounds dirty ...... disable it if you have no 4G. It's searching and can't find anything.

5. DroidGnome

May 25, 2010
    *sigh* maybe I need to rephrase my question again.

HOW do you disable it? As I stated in the original post, pressing the line in the settings window does nothing, it's gray and non-responsive. That's the entire point of this thread.

It appears to be searching, yes.. that's why I asked in the first place... but I cannot figure out how to disable it.

6. esone1ll

esone1ll Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Isn't there an HTC widget that lets you toggle the 4G radio on and off?

7. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    New Joisey
    It's in the same place that bluetooth & wifi settings are. Just go into settings, it's very obvious. The phone isn't on me right now.

8. companyman

companyman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Deale, MD
    I had this issue when I first got the phone this morning. It appears to have some lag turning on and off. I actually think I hit the buttons so many times that it got "stuck" Had to restart the phone to make it respond to touch again.

9. DroidGnome

May 25, 2010
    And we have a winner!!!! :D I removed the battery and reinserted (since I had to swap out SD cards anyway) and when it came back the button was showing "Turn 4g on" which indicates it's OFF now :) whew...

So for anyone else who's 4G appears stuck in 'search' mode... Companyman's solution should work.. Thanks again!

10. companyman

companyman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Deale, MD
  11. TRiP

TRiP Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Philly
    Just facing this issue now.
    I turned off and on the phone. Took the batter out and put it back.
    Still, when i turn on the phone, my 4G setting states "Turning on..." but never turns on!

I'm sure a hard reset will fix this, but wanted to see if there was another option.

Any ideas?

12. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    outside chicaago
    i have the same problem too; turning it off it wireless setting doesnt do anything; is there a "hack" of some sort to just disable the 4g radio?

thanks

Tags: