• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I disable the Ice Cream Sandwich automatic update?

I'm running Android 2.36 on my Droid Razr Maxx and I prefer to keep it. Verizon/Motorola has pushed out the ICS update to my phone, but I declined the install for now. Is there any way to prevent the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade from eventually updating?

I know I'm unique in not wanting the upgrade to ICS. I've used it and there are a few features that I really hate. Hopefully someone can help me avoid the forced update, which now sits on my phone waiting for an opportunity to install itself!

Hello spectraflash, welcome to AF! I have moved your thread into the RAZR/RAZR MAXX forum, thanks for understanding. :)

Regarding your question, most of the time, if you root and flash a custom recovery, the update notifications will stop. However I am not sure if there is another way if you are unwilling to do this. Maybe someone else here knows?

Upvote 0
I just went through this exact same concern and exercise. I have GB 2.3.6 and wanted to keep it. I want no parts of ICS nor the reminders that I continued to get once downloaded. If you clear your phones cache, that will get rid of the downloaded file. You then want to root your phone and install Titanium Backup to allow you to disable the OTA updates.

Search around for how to do this. When I get a chance later, I'll try to post the instructions that I gathered from various sources.

Upvote 0
I'm so glad to hear that others want to avoid the ICS upgrade too. I'm sorry for my basic level of knowledge, but how do I clear my cache to erase the downloaded (ticking timebomb) file?

1. Power the phone off
  2. Press and hold the volume down, volume up and power button until the recovery screen appears.
  3. Use the volume down button to select "Recovery" and then press the volume up to confirm the selection.
  4. The phone will do a little reboot thing, display the dual core logo thing and then an Android next to a triangle with a yellow exclamation point will appear. At this point press the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time.
  5. If you did everything correctly you are now at the Android System Recovery Screen. To clear the cache press the volume down button until you have selected "wipe cache partition". Press the power button to confirm the selection and it will wipe the cache partition.
  6. Once the cache is cleared press the volume up button to select "Reboot System Now" and press the power button to confirm the selection. If the "Reboot System Now" is already selected then just press the power button to confirm the selection and the phone will reboot.

Upvote 0
Thank you Grey1001, thisisnascar and JB in AZ. Taking your advice, I successfully deleted the downloaded ICS update before it ran. I'm looking forward to learning how to prevent it from recurring and upgrading when I least expect it. If someone could step me through that sometime, I would very much appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I had so many problems with ICS on my RAZR that I had to get it replaced. When I got my new phone with GB, I rooted it right away. Then, I d/l'ed AntTek App Manager and froze the Updater file ('.com.motorola.blur.updater). No more requests to update to ICS for me! My wife has had no problems with ICS on her RAZR, but I'm happy to keep GB on my phone for now. No problems at all!

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people are avoiding ICS. It's great!
i would not say that... i miss all these from gb

• predictive text in text msgng
  • the blur-facebook app
  • the battery life (yes i do have a serious bug that drains my battery within a day which used to stand for like 30 hours.
  • widgets which automatically moved when i placed another widget on them
  • the old lockscreen
Well, I started this journey with gb, so i kinda miss it now having this extremely annoying-buggy-battery draining-memory hog ICS
Am so gonna root my phone when my warranty goes void !

Upvote 0
ICS is not "great" for everybody. If you like it better than that is indeed "great" for you, however being rooted and freezing the updater is the best way to permanently get rid of it and just enjoy a rooted fully controllable device. Just my .02 as I wouldn't trade my GB experience for anything. It is "great" for me, as ICS is maybe "great" for you. We have CHOICES! Now that is truly "great"!

Reactions: A. Blinkin
Upvote 0
I'm bumping and old thread, what I'm asking now is somewhat similar. I still have 2.3.6 on my phone, being held by following the procedures listed in this thread. If I undo all of this and allow the OTA upgrades to come through, when all is said and down, what version of the Android OS will be running on my Razr Maxx?

Would be it beneficial for me now to go from 2.3.6 to what the latest is?

Upvote 0
No you aren't I am not sure what 2.3 had to offer because I got my Maxx right before this Jellybean update was released. I can tell you though it runs smoother than 2.3. If anything you are gaining function/features, because with the Jellybean update you are able to download different lock screen apps and apps that change your launcher and stuff like that. 2.3 you can't download and use those apps. You will like it(Jellybean).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones