• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I edit the Contact Group of Google Contacts on my handset?

yakboy

Jun 2, 2009
Hi there,

Hope one of you experienced android people can help me! I've got a Nexus one (my first Android experience) and it's pretty damn awesome but I've got a small issue with my Contacts.

I have them filtered on the Handset so that only those marked as Friends or Family under Gmail contacts are shown. I can't help this as otherwise I'd have well over 1000 contacts to scroll through on my phone.

My issue is that should I add a contact on my phone it doesn't appear. This is obviously because when it's created it has no group membership. It still resolves against SMS etc but is not displayed in the Contacts list. I can (when near a computer) quickly jump onto gmail, manage contacts and put the person into the right group but ideally I'd like to be able to do this on the handset.

Is there any way at all of editing Google Contact Group membership on the handset? I certainly can't find the option if it exists. Alternatively is it possible to change it so when the contact is create on the handset that it automatically saves as a 'Friend'.

Many many thanks in advance!

Tom

P.S Alternatively if anyone has got any advice on how else I could manage this I'm all ears!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones