• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I exchange my Captivate under warranty replacement because of GPS?

Anyone done this? Does the lack of GPS functionality qualify us for being able to send it back under warranty replacement? Im curious if a newer build will solve the problem since many users say that they dont have the problems, even weeks after the phone has been in use.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I went there to try and get a new one. I told them the GPS didn't lock very well. I told them I could be riding in a car in the city and it would say it couldn't lock. He said okay and then they went in the back and messed with it. He came out and said he couldn't get it locked. I agreed. But then he said that he would have to try their stock phone in the back. So they did that. He said that the stock one was having issues as well. Apparently this makes it okay. They switched techs I now am talking with the supervisor. I am calm and I claim that I want a replacement because the phone does not work they way it should. They argue that other androids have the same problem. I told them I have a friend with a HTC Incredible and that his GPS works fine. (This is before they got 2.2) Anyway he took the phone back and after like 45 mins he comes back with both connected to the GPS without wifi. (Lol, I can only assume they were trying to get them to connect that whole time, either that or they were trying my patients.) So he comes back and pretty much thinks this proves nothing is wrong. I tell him what if I just bought a car and two months later the on board computer stopped working correctly. He goes that's happened to me man. I apologized for that and said well make the difference. I told him I wanted him to open a new cap box and show me the GPS would work. He refused multiple times. lol I got mad in the end but I kept my cool. I had every right to be mad after 3 hours. He told me he could give me a replacement but when they send it back to samsung and they don't find anything wrong they will charge me 600 dollars on my bill. I pretty much laughed at him. I was like thats stupid. Pretty much I argued with him a little and I just told him have a nice night and left with my phone. I sent my phone into samsung myself and they fixed it. :) Free shipping no maybe 600 dollar charge that you can't say no to. So in the end I feel I won. But I also feel I had horrible customer service. Sorry for the long story but I think it's kinda fun to read other peoples problems. Haha

Good Luck. I think it's worth a try. In the end you can always send it to Samsung. It was rough a week and a haft without my phone. haha.

Upvote 0
Today, I called at&t technical support and was transferred to someone part of their new Android support team.

He said that I would not be able to replace the phone because it's an issue will all of the Captivates. He said that there is a problem with the GPS and Samsung is working on a fix. I asked if this fix differs than the update that was sent out in September. He said yes. :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

I then go on to explain that I want another at&t phone because it's ridiculous that they are selling a product that has a known defect and that they don't have a timetable on a fix. (I don't really want another phone yet because at&t doesn't really have anything else to offer).

I'm getting VERY tempted to cancel my contract and go to Sprint and the EVO.

Upvote 0
Today, I called at&t technical support and was transferred to someone part of their new Android support team.

He said that I would not be able to replace the phone because it's an issue will all of the Captivates. He said that there is a problem with the GPS and Samsung is working on a fix. I asked if this fix differs than the update that was sent out in September. He said yes. :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

I then go on to explain that I want another at&t phone because it's ridiculous that they are selling a product that has a known defect and that they don't have a timetable on a fix. (I don't really want another phone yet because at&t doesn't really have anything else to offer).

I'm getting VERY tempted to cancel my contract and go to Sprint and the EVO.

the update in september was not a gps fix. also you can go to sprint and get an evo, they have problems also, not to mention terrible battery life and if im not mistaken they too have gps issues

Upvote 0
He said that I would not be able to replace the phone because it's an issue will all of the Captivates.

Then you would be legally be entitled to a replacement with a different model phone altogether, since a primary advertised feature is not working and this is a known and admitted-to (by AT&T, and according to them by Samsung too) defect across the entire product line.

Upvote 0
Then you would be legally be entitled to a replacement with a different model phone altogether, since a primary advertised feature is not working and this is a known and admitted-to (by AT&T, and according to them by Samsung too) defect across the entire product line.

My point exactly!! He admitted that this is a problem with all Captivates across the board but then told me that I can't trade it in for another model. haha... At this point, I really didn't want to exchange my phone because at&t doesn't have much to offer in terms of Android. I was just trying to understand the logic behind that. I have a strong feeling that if I was to go into an at&t store and speak to a manager, they would happily replace my phone.

Upvote 0
I think that person was trying to get the point across that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Both phones have their problems. However, maybe you knew that. This is just in case you didn't as I would not mock you.

Cheers

Yeah, I was just messin' around. Thanks for the heads up; both of you.

I played around with that phone and liked it a lot, but I was mainly looking at the carrier. They'd be $40 cheaper a month than at&t (for my wife and I) and that's including 4G service. I fear that at&t will be following Verizon's 4G pricing which is really expensive.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was just messin' around. Thanks for the heads up; both of you.

I played around with that phone and liked it a lot, but I was mainly looking at the carrier. They'd be $40 cheaper a month than at&t (for my wife and I) and that's including 4G service. I fear that at&t will be following Verizon's 4G pricing which is really expensive.

Why must they charge us more? It's already over priced as it is...

Upvote 0
Im having same problem, sent me out a replacement and that actually worked WORSE than my original captivate. They have now offered me any other ATT phone, EXCEPT the iphone. I had 3 iphones in the past and really its the only other phone on ATT i would want. ANy other phone is a downgrade, even the tech over the phone admitted that.

Will they let me out of my contract over this? I feel that i deserve a working phone without having to downgrade.

Upvote 0
I am lucky enough to have an At&t device support center near my house. I exchanged my phone twice in one week without any problem whatsoever. The first time was due to the gps. Not only did they just give me a new one, they fedex overnighted me a new samsung battery. Not sure why. My replacement screen had an odd hue to it, so I went back a few days later and exchanged it again. I guess if you do not have a device support center nearby, you would have to mail it in?

Upvote 0
The problem with the GPS issue is that you have to go in prepared, I got the same answers when I dumped my Captivate for an iPhone. I printed out reports from CNET, Samsung, Engadget, AT&T Forums, Android Forums (Mulitple Ones) and drove to the store. When I explained the problem and the back and forth started, I unloaded the printouts and asked them to explain.

This was right around the time JH7 was coming out, which by the way, AT&T and Samsung both claim that it enhances GPS functionality. The update came and went, still had issues with GPS. I called the store manager back and spent about 40 minutes on the phone with him until he agreed to take the phone back. I never lost my cool, proved over and over that the GPS issue was there from the moment they sold the phone and was present in all variants of the Galaxy S.

If you walk into the store empty handed and have nothing to back up your claims, they will get you. I even spent time on the phone with the Android support team from AT&T the day JH7 came out and a three way call was made to Samsung, no one could answer why the GPS was still broken. The representative was nice enough to document the poor service given by Samsung during the call. If you just got your phone, even if just over your 30 days, go back with documentation and fight till the end.

As for them not allowing you an iPhone, that can be argued, you just have to stick to the plan and prove your issue. AT&T always gives you the "Apple Doesn't Allow Us Story". I'm proof the exchange is possible, did so after having the phone for three months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones