1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I find out what apps I have already downloaded?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by paulri, Jan 10, 2016.

1. paulri

paulri Member

In an effort to clear up space on my Samsung Galaxy, I uninstalled a bunch of apps. Now I have all the space I need, but I'd like to get that same flashlight app back. Is there a way to find out what apps I have downloaded in the past? I know that flashlight apps are a dime a dozen, but the last ones I've downloaded require extra clicking to turn the light on. The one I found was literally click on, click off, which is what I want--a single click on the home screen, to toggle it on and off.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Just click on the all apps tab in to your play store app. Scan down til you find the app you want to reinstall and download it.

3. paulri

paulri Member

Hmmmm went to the My apps & Games menu, then hit All---and I saw plenty that I have installed, and a few that I've uninstalled--but no flashlight app. I see the two that I installed today, but nothing prior to that. Interesting. I know I had a flashlight app installed.

Thanks anyways.

4. paulri

paulri Member

Never mind. I just discovered a menu called Widgets. Man learning the ins and outs of a new OS is interesting. OK my old flashlight app is back on the home page.

androidmachine, Mikestony and MLSS like this.
  5. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Glad you were able to find it! Don't worry, you will be a pro in no time at all. [emoji217]

Mikestony likes this.
  6. The reason you couldn't find it in your downloaded apps list is that the flashlight widget is built into the Samsung version of Android on the Galaxy. So you already had it without having to download anything.
    This is actually a very good thing, since a large number of the free flashlight apps are really malware/spyware that you don't want on your phone. Just look at the permissions they want- all that's required for a flashlight is to control the phone's camera flash, but some of those apps have a permissions list as long as your arm.

androidmachine and Mikestony like this.
  7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

QFT! :)

8. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

I suspected this. I found out that a flashlight app that I had was running in the background and eating a significant amount of battery even though I had not switched it on in weeks. This despite several reboots. I uninstalled it as soon as I discovered this.

9. CM Flashlights by Cheetah Mobile perhaps?

... Thom

10. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

I don't think so. It was just an unassuming generic flashlight app I downloaded. I haven't had any Cheetah Mobile apps on my devices since they started wanting me to install a whole bunch of stuff which I was unwilling to do. At that time, I recognized them as not something I wanted on my device.

Thom likes this.