1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I Freeze the Stock Messaging App with Titanium??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scudder, May 22, 2011.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Hello...

Been cleaning out some crap from my EVO after a problem and need for a hard reset and reinstall of various apps. I read a LONG time ago information on my question but forgot the answer and cannot find the link :(

I am using ChompSMS as my messaging app and I was wondering if I can freeze the stock messaging with Titanium without causing any problems for ChompSMS's functioning?? I'll even go a step further if the answer is "yes" and ask if I can uninstall the app??

I'm thinking the answer is NO because it appears that ChompSMS is affected and perhaps even DEPENDENT upon certain functions of the stock messaging app. For example, I have noticed that the setting in the STOCK messaging app to "automatically download" pictures and MMS data subsequently permits/controls that functionality in the ChompSMS app! That is why I think that certain "underlying" stock apps need to be kinda hanging around in the background so that various third party apps function correctly. That being said, I thought I'd ask...

THANKS!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

yes lol once youre rooted, you can do whatever you want within the linux system including locking the stock sms apk. (mine is frozen atm LoL (i bet its feelin chilly))

scudder likes this.
  3. RunVert

RunVert Well-Known Member

Yeah I use Handcent messenging and I use bloatfreezer to freeze my stock messaging app. It works!

scudder likes this.
  4. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Hey all...

So I freeze the stock messaging app and leave my ChompSMS third party app running around 3pm yesterday. I send a couple text, all seems good.

HOURS later after dinner I'm talking to my wife and she says, "...so I guess you didn't get my text." I look at my phone, no text...and the weird thing is based upon my typical phone use, I received no text from ANYONE since...oh...about 3pm....

So I test my message receipt with a text from my wife's phone. NOTHING. I then UNFREEZE what I froze and send a text again...got it that time!!

ODD no???

Here is the description of the item I froze using Titanium:

(SMS/MMS PREFS) Messages 1.00

It is color-coded green which corresponds to an item that is a "System service with useful data"

Did I freeze the wrong thing?? Or did I freeze the wrong thing but got odd consequences?? I didn't see anything else that seemed to correspond to the messaging app...??

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

so i am on cm7 at the moment and looked into titanium backup and found [SMS/MMS PREFS] Messaging 2.3.3 i froze that one. i then used handcent to send some text messages and i could send and receive messages. so i'm not exactly sure if that is the same stock messaging app or not. but really there is no need to just freeze the stock app. you could just turn off notifications from the stock app.

6. scudder

scudder Android Expert

What you wrote in green above is EXACTLY what I tried to freeze...except your version number at the end is different. And yeah, like I said, I had a problem so I unfroze.

I recently installed Go SMS to screw around with it and in the "help" notes are comments that SOME SMS apps rely upon certain parts of the stock messaging app continuing to run and suggests, if one runs into problems, to keep the Messaging app installed/functioning. Perhaps Go and ChompSMS need to stock but Handcent doesn't?? ODD though because Handcent and ChompSMS (and Go so far as I see) are all so similar with layout, functions, settings, etc....???

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews