• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I get a certified replacement with an SLCD?

I already had my Incredible replaced a few months ago, but now I am having trouble with the replacement, and I'm thinking about getting this one replaced with another certified replacement. However, I'd much rather have the SLCD screen because the text is much sharper since the screens use the typical RGB pixel layout as opposed to the RGBG PenTile layout of the AMOLED screens. This is the one reason I can't stand the AMOLED screen, you can read more about it here...

Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

Anyways, according to the leaked picture here...

HTC Droid Incredible nearing switch from AMOLED to SLCD? -- Engadget

If you read the last two bullets in the picture, it says, "Insurance claims will be processed business as usual for the same or a similar replacement device. For Certified Like-New Replacement (CLNR) devices, customers will receive the same screen type that they originally purchased."

Is there any way I can specify that I want the replacement to be the ADR6300VW3 (SLCD SKU)? Has anyone had any luck with this? I've heard of some people sending in an Incredible with an SLCD and getting a certified replacement with an AMOLED, so maybe they aren't strictly enforcing the same screen rule.

AMOLED screed is superior.

That is your opinion. I was disappointed with the AMOLED screen, the colors are over-saturated and the PenTile RGBG pixel layout makes text look jagged and pixelated. I posted a link so you can see examples of what I'm talking about, here it is again in case you missed it...

Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

I use the phone mostly for reading text so sharper text is much more important to me than deep blacks etc. Also I've read about the differences in battery life, but it doesn't concern me since I can already make it more than a full day, and I don't mind charging it every night.

I know someone with the SLCD Incredible and after playing around with it I decided I would much rather have the SLCD, so that's why I am here on a quest to get a replacement.

I understand why people like AMOLED so much, but for me, the PenTile layout absolutely ruins the screen, I will stay away from AMOLED until they decide to switch to the standard RGB layout.

Upvote 0
the PenTile RGBG pixel layout makes text look jagged and pixelated.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but nearly spit my coffee out when I read that line.

My Weatherbug widget has text that is about 1 mm high, and is perfectly clear and smooth. I literally need a magnifying glass to see any jagged edges.

I have noticed that some apps don't render text as well as others, though. In the Amazon Kindle app, text is not as sharp as it ought to be. That is a problem with the software, however, not the screen technology.

Upvote 0
Ive seen the Inc. with slcd first hand and compared it to my Inc. with AMOLED and there was no contest, AMOLED was superior. The SLCD screen looked washed out and the black levels were not even close to that of the AMOLED. Side by side my Inc with AMOLED looked breath taking compared to SLCD. Not only that but I found that the SLCD was NOT easier to view in sunlight. Both phones had brightness turned all the way up. I think people are just brainwashed into thinking current AMOLED screens are poor in sunlight. SLCD performed no better in sunlight as Ive used them side by side.

Also the only way you are going to notice the difference in text sharpness is if you try reading text that is 1/2 mm high. In other words, you wont notice a difference because nobody reads text at that size anyway slcd or not...

Upvote 0
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but nearly spit my coffee out when I read that line.

My Weatherbug widget has text that is about 1 mm high, and is perfectly clear and smooth. I literally need a magnifying glass to see any jagged edges.

I have noticed that some apps don't render text as well as others, though. In the Amazon Kindle app, text is not as sharp as it ought to be. That is a problem with the software, however, not the screen technology.

What I'm talking about is not software related. I feel like no one bothered to click the link I posted. This is what I'm talking about...

This is the PenTile RGBG layout...

n1fig2.png

Now here is RGB and RGBG so you can see the difference.

samsung_oled_pentile_matrix_comparison.jpg

Now when you look at it further away you can see that the screen looks very criss-cross/diagonal (X) instead of horizontal and vertical (+)...

Because of this, text can look jagged and pixelated, because the PenTile RGBG layout cannot create a perfectly straight vertical line. Look at the sides of the vertical part of the "1" in this image. This is not the best example because the "1" is several pixels wide, but normal text like under the icons on the homescreen is very small and thin font and it's more noticeable, but you get the point.

Desire-Pine-Tile-Matrix.jpg

As opposed to this...

HD2-RGB-LCD.jpg

Now I know you might say that you would need a magnifying glass to even notice this, but it is very noticeable to me even when I keep my phone a normal distance from face while reading, and it is very annoying when reading text. And I'm not the only one, many other people think it is very noticeable and annoying.

Ive seen the Inc. with slcd first hand and compared it to my Inc. with AMOLED and there was no contest, AMOLED was superior. The SLCD screen looked washed out and the black levels were not even close to that of the AMOLED. Side by side my Inc with AMOLED looked breath taking compared to SLCD. Not only that but I found that the SLCD was NOT easier to view in sunlight. Both phones had brightness turned all the way up. I think people are just brainwashed into thinking current AMOLED screens are poor in sunlight. SLCD performed no better in sunlight as Ive used them side by side.

Also the only way you are going to notice the difference in text sharpness is if you try reading text that is 1/2 mm high. In other words, you wont notice a difference because nobody reads text at that size anyway slcd or not...

I've also seen them both side by side, and the SLCD was super sharp, and the colors were accurate and not over-saturated. Black levels, while nice, are not that big of a deal for me, also, it's practically impossible to use any screen in daylight and hardly ever use my phone outside anyways, so that's irrelevant to me.

Upvote 0
Kitten Mittens, this is really really OLD news what you are posting. The reality is on a tiny 3.7" screen it does not cause a viewing issue since you would need to read text half a mm high to notice a difference. Nobody sits there reading text on a phone with a magnifying glass so its a non-issue.

First of all, I'm not saying I discovered this I'm just explaining why I don't like the screen, second of all, it doesn't matter what size the screen is, it's supposed to be 800x480, but it's really not, and text looks pixelated when it shouldn't be at such a high resolution. Lastly and most importantly, I'm not reading text with a magnifying glass, I'm looking at it from a normal distance and to my naked eye, it's noticeable and very annoying. My purpose for this thread was to ask if I could get a replacement with the screen that I prefer, not sway anyone's opinion. I understand some if not most people will prefer AMOLED, I'm just backing up my complaints with evidence that it is real and some people find it noticeable, it is not a non-issue for me.

Upvote 0
^ here's a novel idea....maybe you should stick to figuring out how to get an slcd replacement rather than trying to convince us why slcd is better for you. no need to defend it or provide back up if it's what you like.

I know it got a little off topic, it just bothers me when someone says something like this...

AMOLED screed is superior.

When it's really just personal preference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones