1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can I get a free unlock code for ATRIX MB860?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kozmik_klown, Jan 12, 2014.

1. kozmik_klown

kozmik_klown Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    I know normally, you have to pay to get an unlock code, but I was wondering, is there any way to get one for free? I heard that you could call AT&T customer service and get one for free over the phone. Is that true? That's who the carrier used to be on this phone. Oh and according to my friend who gave me this phone, it has been reported stolen like a year or so ago. Can it still be unlocked? And if so, would that be wise? Also, is there such a thing as unlock code generators? And, does my phone need to be rooted first before unlocking it? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I want to be able to use this phone as a prepaid.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Quite simply, no.

Yes, but it can't be used, on AT&T or on any other carrier. No carrier in the US will activate a stolen phone. (Even if it was your friend's and he got it back. There's a LONG process HE'D have to go through to get it off the list. It usually isn't worth it.)

For old (meaning around 2012) Nokia phones.

No, it should be non-rooted.

Since it's been reported stolen you can't use it, period. (Unless you're planning on using it in some small country that has a phone company owned by a friend of yours, or the dictator of the country is a friend.)

My advice is to stop trying to get around the system (they've thought of everything you're going to think of, and they've got it covered, including things like "possession of stolen property") and buy a phone.

Oh, and if the phone had never been reported stolen, SOME carriers will give you the unlock code - for free - as long as the phone is no longer in contract, there are no outstanding bills, and it's still activated.

TMobile is the easiest (and always has been) - after about 30-40 days after you got the phone - while still under contract - they'll give you the unlock code if you're planning on being out of the country and want to buy a local SIM to use while there. AT&T might - it depends on the phase of the moon and the mood of the customer service rep you get.

But that's for a phone you can use. The one your friend had is now good only for parts to repair other phones.

3. kozmik_klown

kozmik_klown Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    Ok thanks so much for the input! Was just curious. I intend on buying another phone, but it will be a while before I can get another ATRIX and they're my fav by far! I can still use it as is over wifi and with free apps, I can talk, text, email, etc. So its still useful but guess I won't be able to use it as a prepaid afterall. Oh well lol. My coder friend told me that I prolly wouldn't be able to unlock it and that even if I could it wouldn't be wise to do so, due to it being reported stolen. I just wanted another opinion. Thanks all! ;)