• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I get a SIM card at a local store

Gatman

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Hi folks,

I'm planning on porting my number from Straight Talk (AT&T) over to Cricket in the next few days. ST has performed fine, but the abysmal customer service just bugged me the few times I had to use it. Also, I intend to switch my wife over when she goes off contract with Verizon, and I don't see where ST gives a discount for multiple lines like Cricket does.

Does anyone know: if I go to a store, will they give me a SIM card instead of charging $9.99 for it? My ST month isn't up for about 2 weeks, but I don't want to wait until the last minute in case there's a delay with the port (I have researched and have the correct ST info to provide to Cricket to do the port). Can I do the referral credit if I go to a store? I may just drive there and see if they'll let me take the SIM for $9.99 and then activate it online. I just don't want to wait for it to show up in the mail and get stuck paying for another month of ST if the port isn't done.

Thanks for any insight,

Gary

Yes local cricket stores will have Sims. You might also have them at GameStop now.

Dealers will probably charge the $10 BC they have to make money. Corporate stores might give you one for free but are allowed and most do charge the $10

As for the referral just activate it online after you activate the Sim. Don't mention anything about it in store to avoid confusion

Just make sure you request the referral before you go to the store!!! You can request a referral from one of us on here if you don't have one. It'll then be sent to your email with a link to activate the referral after you open your account

Reactions: Gatman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones