1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I get text notification popups like on my Iphone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 702, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 702

702 Newbie

On my Iphone when a text message comes in it shows the pop up notification on the home/closed screen. Is there a way to do this text message notification on the Galaxy Nexus?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

A 3rd Party app can do it for you, GoSMS. It's an entirely new SMS app though so if you like the look and feel of the stock SMS app, SMS Popup should do the trick.

3. the7nd

the7nd Member

When I got my OG Droid, I was wondering why the functionality wasn't built into Android. I used SMS Popup for the longest time and it worked great. I eventually disabled it and got used to checking the status bar for new messages, though.

4. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast

Handcent will also do it. I think it's slightly more popular, but give both a try. I think most people that try Handcent end up preferring it over stock. Just be sure to enable the popup in settings.

5. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

I use sms popup because I dig the stock ICS sms app. Works well. Only one small glitch I've seen...when you get multiple texts and your phone is off, you go to turn the phone on and only the latest text received is there available for a quick reply. Not a biggie though

6. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast

Another recommendation for SMS Popup. In addition, it doesn't behave like an SMS replacement, as some other apps do. It simply works in tandem with the stock messenger (which I also happen to like).

7. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

+1 to handcent also it just got a major update for 4.0 support.

8. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

I used handcent for years but recently it wouldn't send mms, so I switched to go sms.
    I don't like the stock messaging app because there are no customizations such as different tones, icons, for each contact.

9. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

Has anyone received a group text from an iPhone with the new version of Handcent? I noticed the update notes mention iPhone group texting. Does it work like it does on the iPhone where all the replies are in one conversation? I love my Galaxy Nexus and ICS but my one main complaint is when I get a group text the replies aren't contained in one conversation.

10. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast

Use Handcent. It even looks like iPhone.

11. rawness

rawness Android Enthusiast

+1 for this issue/feature.

I was excited to see handcent said they added this feature...I'm tempted to just send a nonsensical message to my friends to test :D

The rest of the update is major plus, in my book!

Yup...a look I hate, so I'm grateful it has the option to change that.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews
Tags: