1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I get the Weather app to use GPS instead of network location?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wonderbread, May 15, 2010.

1. wonderbread

wonderbread Android Enthusiast

It keeps telling me I'm in the town across the river. Maybe according to the network location I am in that town but when I go to maps and it uses GPS it realizes the proper city. The weather app often makes this mistake. I thought when I setup my device it may have asked if I want to use GPS or just network location for something but I can't find that setting anymore. Any ideas on how to get more accurate current location for the weather widget? Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

Menu, settings, location, use gps satellites

3. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

i have to ask, how far away is the reading that its using? cell towers dont broadcast all that far, so the weather would still be pretty accurate seeing that it is only updating every hour as it is

4. nightfishing

nightfishing Android Enthusiast

If you'd have ever lived on the "right" side of a town, you wouldn't want your phone thinking that you lived on the wrong side, either!

5. wonderbread

wonderbread Android Enthusiast

So, I already had "Use GPS" checked but while in that menu I unchecked "Use Wireless Networks" and the weather app so far is now always identifying the correct location, on the correct side of the river :)

6. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

that will probably use more battery if that matters to you, if not then dont worry

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews