• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I give away my upgrade to family member?

EVU

Oct 5, 2010
Question: I have an upgrade coming up on the 12/18th & wanted to use my upgrade for an iPhone for my 2nd line - wife's - which is NOT eligible till October.

1) Do I order/buy it & activated on my line and then switch the phone to her line & reactivate my old phone?

1A) Or Can I just activate it on her line immediately?

2) If true in 1 - Is there a time frame I have to do this within?

3) Do I have to wait for certain # of days?

4) Can I do this from any SPCS retailer or vendor such as BB, Amazon, Radio Shack?

Reactions: NikkiSprankle
From what I recall number 1 is how you do it, and you have to have it activated for a day I believe as i did it a while back when I got my first HTC Hero, and then I called the next day and transferred the phone to my line from my wife. You can ask them, most of the sales agents in the Sprint store will tell you

Question: I have an upgrade coming up on the 12/18th & wanted to use my upgrade for an iPhone for my 2nd line - wife's - which is NOT eligible till October.

1) Do I order/buy it & activated on my line and then switch the phone to her line & reactivate my old phone?

4) Can I do this from any SPCS retailer or vendor such as BB, Amazon, Radio Shack?

Reactions: EVU
Upvote 0
When the Evo 4G came out, I had the Hero. I was not eligible to upgrade by my mom's line was. I had my pre order at Radio Shack so I had my mom come with me first thing that morning. I explained that I wanted to purchase the phone with HER upgrade but activate it on MY line. He called Sprint and gave them that information and they didn't have a problem with it.
The Evo was purchased and immediately activated on my line...and my old Hero was then activated on my mom's line to replace her old BB Curve (which was mine before the Hero lol).

Upvote 0
When the Evo 4G came out, I had the Hero. I was not eligible to upgrade by my mom's line was. I had my pre order at Radio Shack so I had my mom come with me first thing that morning. I explained that I wanted to purchase the phone with HER upgrade but activate it on MY line. He called Sprint and gave them that information and they didn't have a problem with it.
The Evo was purchased and immediately activated on my line...and my old Hero was then activated on my mom's line to replace her old BB Curve (which was mine before the Hero lol).

I've heard this scenario before at other retail outlets.
My only concern is I have a really nice corp & add-on discount & am always hearing bad setup stories that make these types of discount disappear.

Upvote 0
Where I work we have 65 Nextel handsets and a few months ago they were all eligible for an upgrade. After making an arrangement with my boss I placed the order but one of them was an EVO Shift, for which I reimbursed the company what they paid for the upgrade. I think it was $25.

My personal phone, an EVO 4G, had died a few days before and I had no problem activating the company Shift on my personal account. I just called Sprint, told them I purchased the phone from another source, they pressed a few buttons and it activated with my personal number.

Reactions: EVU and KOLIO
Upvote 0
So I got an iPhone as an 'early' upgrade & had to activate it on my phone.
Kept it as my line for 1 hour.
Then called SPCS to have my EVO put back on as my line.
Then called SPCS again 5 mins later & put the iPhone on my wife's non-upgrade eligible line.

Yeah, it wasn't instant gratification but it served it's own purpose in not causing confusion for the SPCS CSR's & my own sanity with SPCS.

LOL!

Upvote 0
Figured that this would be the process as I went through it before also, thus the reason why I mentioned it, glad you got her the IPhone, now you will be out of the dog house, now go jailbreak her phone, LOL :D

So I got an iPhone as an 'early' upgrade & had to activate it on my phone.
Kept it as my line for 1 hour.
Then called SPCS to have my EVO put back on as my line.
Then called SPCS again 5 mins later & put the iPhone on my wife's non-upgrade eligible line.

Yeah, it wasn't instant gratification but it served it's own purpose in not causing confusion for the SPCS CSR's & my own sanity with SPCS.

LOL!

Upvote 0
Figured that this would be the process as I went through it before also, thus the reason why I mentioned it, glad you got her the IPhone, now you will be out of the dog house, now go jailbreak her phone, LOL :D

Thanks for the inputs before.
My days of desktop support is over for Friends & family.
Too much work & time needed.

Will just focus on my own Android from now on.

Upvote 0

Hello, you can give your upgrade to a family member as long as they are on the same account. You can order the upgrade via sprint.com, telesales or a corporate Sprint store. You don't want to go through Amazon, Radio Shack, or a third party because when you upgrade with them most of the time you have to agree to their terms and conditions as well as the new Sprint agreement. In most cases for the vendor to receive credit for the sale the phone has to remain active on the line it was purchased on for at least 180 days. If you do switch the phone to a different line the "fine print" would be that you have to pay the difference of the sale price of the phone and retail price.
You can avoid all that by ordering through Sprint. Once you get the phone just call the customer care department and let them know you want the phone activated on a different line and they will switch it over for you. If the phone came with a mail in rebate the rebate would be void but that is the only consequence when you order directly from Sprint and switch the phone to a different user on your account. Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
Hello, you can give your upgrade to a family member as long as they are on the same account. You can order the upgrade via sprint.com, telesales or a corporate Sprint store. You don't want to go through Amazon, Radio Shack, or a third party because when you upgrade with them most of the time you have to agree to their terms and conditions as well as the new Sprint agreement. In most cases for the vendor to receive credit for the sale the phone has to remain active on the line it was purchased on for at least 180 days. If you do switch the phone to a different line the "fine print" would be that you have to pay the difference of the sale price of the phone and retail price.
You can avoid all that by ordering through Sprint. Once you get the phone just call the customer care department and let them know you want the phone activated on a different line and they will switch it over for you. If the phone came with a mail in rebate the rebate would be void but that is the only consequence when you order directly from Sprint and switch the phone to a different user on your account. Hope this helps :)
I have done it multiple times at bestbuy, they do not have extra requirements. You dont have a mail in rebate and you can move the phone to the other line immediately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones