• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I go back to the standard ROM/Radio combinations?

Noob alert...although I have bothered to have a quick search of the forums. However, if my question is answered in another thread, please point me to it!:)

I'm interested in rooting my Desire HD and applying a custom ROM to it. However, if I were then to return my device for repair, I wouldn't be able to do so, unless I could prove that legitimate software/radio, etc. were on there.

So...if I install, say, LeeDroid 3.3.3, could I then return to the HTC Desire HD UK setup? If so, what's the best way of doing this? Can I simply back up my current setup, so as to have the option of reapplying it if required.

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

If you get your 'build number' from settings >> about phone, you can determine which firmware is on there at the moment (your radio version will be listed there too).

Then you need to get the RUU for that firmware from somewhere online (there's a list of lots of them in the 'useful files' sticky at the top of the DHD section). RUUs are official HTC windows programs that install firmware + the associated radio via USB.

Should you ever unroot, you would need to run the RUU to reinstall everything. Ontop of that, you would need to then temp-root your phone and run the S-Off utility to put your phone back to S-On.

That second step will make sense once you've rooted your phone, trust me ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones