• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I have 2 Gmail email accounts? (coming from Blackberry so don't flame)

CFD323

Mar 31, 2010
I'm coming from a Blackberry so bear with me here...

I currently have 2 email accts on my laptop. I have 1 gmail for personal (this is my gmail acct that's linked to my calendar, maps etc. this is the one that would be integrated with the phone), and 1 gmail for work emails (I only use this for the emails, no calendar, no sync etc).
I would like to set up both Gmail email accts on my Eris. Can I do this?

Well you can have your work email auto forward to your personal email and then go to your personal email and set up a "filter" that makes any email sent to your "work" email and label it work or something. I have about 10 email accounts but only check one inbox with just a bunch of labels and auto-read filters so I don't get notified every 2 seconds about a facebook update... :p BUT I do like to eventually see that, so yeah everything in one inbox is great and I think with the labels and filters features of gmail make this a great way to manage it vs any other mail provider (AOL, Yahoo, or MSN/Hotmail/Live), which I have accounts in all them, which forward to gmail. :p Yahoo, you have to pay, My original MSN accounts pulls from live accounts and then forwards to my gmail, and aol/aim is pop access.

Just my thoughts, although there are some more serious hacks that simply allow two gmail accounts in the gmail app, but you can always use the default mail app to just add a gmail email account there.

Hope that helps. :)

Upvote 0
Just my thoughts, although there are some more serious hacks that simply allow two gmail accounts in the gmail app, but you can always use the default mail app to just add a gmail account there.

Hope that helps. :)

So if I just use the default mail app to add the extra work gmail...where is the main (my personal) gmail account at? Is that a separate app? Or do I have to go online via the browser in order to check messages?

I would love to keep both mail accts separate...call me OCD. In Blackberry there would just be 2 icons for both email accts on my home screen. I could then click on whichever one I needed to. I'd like to have something like that on the Eris where I could just have both emails set up separately

Thanks for the help. Kinda weird for me since I've been on a Blackberry for so long.

Upvote 0
Well you can do it however you want, but I love labels. But for you, to keep it separate, just use the mail app for your work and gmail app for your personal email, contacts, and calendar. They're both in the App drawer [^] arrow on the home screen.

To set up your Work inbox go through the Mail App and likewise for your Gmail inbox go to your Gmail App.

To make a shortcut icons, just drag and drop the Mail App to the home screen, and likewise for the Gmail App.

Hope that makes sense, it's really quite simple and basic. There are some advanced features which I just edited out, but there shouldn't be much learning curve from the BB except the whole multi tasking thing, which can slow your phone down and annoy you when you want to basic things like this... :(

Good luck,

Upvote 0
You can have as many accounts as you want with the 2.1 leak.

I use the app Gmail Unread Count to put icons on the home screen for each account. It will also display the number of new mail in the icon with a number. You can label it whatever you want and there are different icon colors/styles so you can remember which account is which.

Upvote 0
I personally don't care for the Gmail app that in the phone, so I have the regular mail app picking up my GMail (and email from two different yahoo accounts). It would be easy enough to set up the mail app to get email from both of your GMail accounts (and whatever other accounts you want). When done this way each account has it's own 'boxes' (in, sent etc) so they are totally separate, which I believe is one of the things you're looking for.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from a Blackberry so bear with me here...

I currently have 2 email accts on my laptop. I have 1 gmail for personal (this is my gmail acct that's linked to my calendar, maps etc. this is the one that would be integrated with the phone), and 1 gmail for work emails (I only use this for the emails, no calendar, no sync etc).
I would like to set up both Gmail email accts on my Eris. Can I do this?

Like others mentioned - if all you are using the "work" gmail account for is strictly email then just set that one up as a POP/IMAP inbox and the set the "personal" account to as the one in the GMail app and to use all the Google stuff with.

I have two gmails, an exchange account, a mail.com account and a comcast.net all on the Eris with no problem.

The way I understand it, if you are aren't planing on using the "Work" gmail account for anything but mail there would really be no benefit to having that one in the Gmail "app".

Upvote 0
Hey to the guy talking about adding an email etc, similar to blackberry. yeah just go to options in the gmail app and add your other gmail accounts. or use the htc mail app for those freak companies that haven't fallen in line with google;)

I have a incredible and the shi* is incredible. I use a gmail for work and a seperate one for personal.

edit: i forgot to mention when you add a 2nd or 3rd... gmail account you still get a seperate "folder" for each email within the gmail app. example: I added my 2nd email, clicked on gmail app and was shown the emails for my 2nd app, I said "what the hell where is my first email" I clicked on menu and "boom!" it has the option for "accounts" and "zamm!" it has two seperate folders for me to check out specific email account folders. hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones