1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can I limit how many Gmail emails I have on my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stevep94, Jun 30, 2011.

1. stevep94

stevep94 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    I have a Hotmail account which I access through the mail app on my Desire and there is a setting which allows me to limit how many e-mails are downloaded to my phone at any one time (I have it set to 3 days so I dont have my entire inbox on my phone taking up space) but my wife has a Gmail account and I cant see the same option anywhere in the Gmail app!?!?! :thinking:

Is there any sort of option which will do a similar thing on the Gmail app as she has hundreds of emails sat in her Gmail inbox which I can only imagine are taking up loads of unecessary space!!

Thanks.......

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    I'm not sure if there's such an option option in the Gmail app. There is an option to sync 'labels' to a particular amount of days. But when I tried this it made no difference. I was in the same boat as your wife with 100s of emails, but only wanting to see the last 30 days worth. In the end I cleared the Gmail data, thus wiping all the emails I'd loaded into Gmail. I didn't try the label syncing after I'd cleared the data, but it might be worth a go to see if that does what you're after. (After clearing the data in Gmail, you're advised to switch the phone off then on again.)

Instead, I now use the 'Mail by HTC' app to access all my email accounts, including Hotmail and Gmail. You can set the amount of email from each account you want held on your phone, from 1 day to all, or in numerical terms. It works! Which is why prefer it to Gmail.

Mail by HTC > make sure you're in the correct account, e.g. Gmail > Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive > Download options.

Tags: