1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can I limit Outlook sync to one folder?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by haggis999, Feb 28, 2011.

1. haggis999

haggis999 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    I am setting up a brand new HTC Desire for my wife and am totally new to Android phones. I have successfully synched with my Outlook Contacts but was disappointed that it seemed to be an all or nothing process. A high proportion of these contacts are my own and not of any interest to my wife.

I created a Contacts folder in Outlook just for my wife. Is there any way to limit the synch process to just that folder?

Also, can I edit the phone's list of people from my PC?

David

Advertisement

2. kolipe

kolipe Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    Create a sub folder for you and leave your wife's contacts in the main contacts folder.

Not sure what the second question is about?

3. haggis999

haggis999 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    Are you saying that the HTC Sync process only works with the Outlook folder that has the name 'Contacts'?

As regards my second question, I was hoping that I could open something similar to a Windows Explorer view on my PC that displays the HTC Desire folders and files, and lets me move and delete files. Is this possible?

David

4. djl208

djl208 Newbie
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    If you connect your phone to a pc via usb and change connection type on the phone to "Disk Drive" (if the option does not come up automatically you can access it from the notification area at the top of the screen), you can view folders and files on the phone from your pc just like any other pc disk drive.

You can also download numerous apps from the market which enable you to view folders and files directly on the phone. I use AndExplorer which meets my needs.

5. kolipe

kolipe Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    as answered above, you can connect your phone in USB mode and view the folders. You can also view the folder from your phone by installing an app such as AndExplorer, Astro or ES file Explorer. I use Astro and ES.

6. haggis999

haggis999 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    Hi djl208 and kolipe,
    Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Outlook won't let me rename my existing Contacts folder, so the only way to get HTCSync to do what I want is for me to copy the Contacts folder under another name, erase everything and then copy in the details from my wife's contacts folder. I'm not too impressed by HTCSync as the syncing tools for other phones have let me select a particular folder in Outlook. which is a much more flexible system.

However, my first attempt to do this resulted in the contact list on the phone (which had resulted from syncing my original Outlook Contacts folder) being merged with the new reduced Contacts folder on the PC. Either I need to first delete all the contacts on the phone or I need to find a way to control the sync settings. So far, I have failed to find how to do either of these.

Using the 'Disk drive' connection, as you advised, has let me view the files and folders on my phone from my PC but I can't find where the contacts are stored.

As you can see, I'm still in need of some assistance!

David

7. djl208

djl208 Newbie
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    If you want to delete the contacts from your phone you will need open the People app, use the menu button and select the delete option; press the menu button again and use select all. This will enable you to delete all your phone contacts.

It may be worth backing them up to your sd card first, just in case. To do this choose the Import/Export option instead of delete in the first step above, then "export to SD". You can import them back using the same steps but choosing "import from SD" instead.

Good luck!

8. haggis999

haggis999 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    I've just realised that I was looking for a soft button called 'Menu' when that is actually the name given to the physical button second from left at the bottom of the phone. That was why I had failed to understand the instructions in the User's Guide about deleting contacts.

I have a new problem that has now occurred a couple of times. If I change to a 'Disk drive' connection then I am unable to reconnect in HTCSync mode even after removing and replugging the USB cable. Only a reboot of my Windows 7 PC solves this problem. Is there another way?

David

Tags: