1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can I load an English version of Android OS onto a japanese xperia?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by charlietheorca, Aug 25, 2016.

1. charlietheorca

None

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Hello!
    I've recently purchased a Sony Xperia NTT Docomo X, which is a unfortunately for me, a Japanese model. When I charged her it up and turned it on, I found that the operating system was in japanese. Even after turning the language to English, the operating system is still in japanese in some apps, and is generally inferior to the English version. I'd appreciate some help on how I can install an english version of the firmware onto the phone so I can use the phone. :)

The operating system is the japanese version of 4.0.4 ice cream sandwich, btw!

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    I'd have to say no. Your phone would have to be unlocked to install a custom ROM and Docomo only offers unlock services for a fee at Docomo stores in Japan. If you did use an unlock service in another country it will probably only last until you have to do a hard reset. Here's a handy guide about buying Docomo phones I found on Ebay.

mikedt likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    DoCoMo phones basically unique to Japan, and do have certain features and modes not found anywhere else, like 1seg TV. I just don't think there's any international ROMs at all for them.

#3 mikedt, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016