• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I Overwrite Gmail contacts?

emikey

Aug 24, 2009
I got annoyed with the sync with gmail feature.
I didnt want all those ppl in my contacts. So i turned off the sync and I just manually edited all my contacts and attached them to their facebook accnts.

Now im a lil worried that they are all on my phone and not being backed up anywhere.

Is there a way to sync with gmail and overwrite my contacts? Or is there a way to sync it with a new gmail account?

Thanks

If you sync your phone and contacts now anything new will be added to contacts.

If you're annoyed at all the contacts in your phonebook then perhaps you need to edit your google.com/contacts.
Anything listed in My Contacts at the top will show up on your Hero when you press phone.
It is ONLY when you press ALL on your phone that you will get a list of everyone that is in your contacts (and all those random email address then you've never seen before.)

Best thing to do is go to google.com/contacts and go through My Contacts. Any email address you don't want showing up on your phone highlight, click groups and Remove from My Contacts.

Upvote 0
thanks but the contacts i want are on my PHONE (as googlecontacts) and i would like them to go to my gmail. Any suggestions?
thanks,

Have you tried this;

On your phone, go to ALL contacts list. Press Menu and Import, then select Phone.
Your phone should then look for contacts that are on your Phone and import them to the Google list.

You can then tidy up/merge contacts via google.com/contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones