• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I play mp4 without downloading app?

Odd Rain

Apr 13, 2012
I have android 4.3. Can I play mp4 file using any one of the built-in apps?

I tried the "Play Movie" app but it doesn't show the mp4 file I copied into the movies folder on the phone. Should I copy it to a different location so Play Movie can find it?

I know how to download other video players to view this mp4 file. But I want the simplest way to play a mp4 file on android because I'm sending this instruction to someone else, along with an mp4 file.

I'm having problems with mp4 videos as well. At first I couldn't view them on my Google Movies & TV app, until I changed the settings yo MMS (320x240). But I'm still unable to send videos. Can't send to Facebook messenger, nor in a text, nor email. Said video can't be sent. See photo. Since you at on the subject of mp4 videos, do you know how I can fix this problem? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1407559575408.jpg
    1407559575408.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
I'm having problems with mp4 videos as well. At first I couldn't view them on my Google Movies & TV app, until I changed the settings yo MMS (320x240). But I'm still unable to send videos. Can't send to Facebook messenger, nor in a text, nor email. Said video can't be sent. See photo. Since you at on the subject of mp4 videos, do you know how I can fix this problem? Thanks.

Many carriers restrict MMS to something like 300 kilobytes, which doesn't give you much video at all. Do you know how large the video is you're trying to send? Because if it's megabytes, it's not going to go via MMS.

Upvote 0
I have android 4.3. Can I play mp4 file using any one of the built-in apps?

I tried the "Play Movie" app but it doesn't show the mp4 file I copied into the movies folder on the phone. Should I copy it to a different location so Play Movie can find it?

I know how to download other video players to view this mp4 file. But I want the simplest way to play a mp4 file on android because I'm sending this instruction to someone else, along with an mp4 file.

Your movie might be using a particular codec that the device's own video player(Play Movie) doesn't support. You'll have to download a player that does play it, try MX Player. The alternative is to re-encode the movie into a format that Play Movie does support.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones