1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can i prevent ics?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RCS1215, Aug 16, 2012.

1. RCS1215

RCS1215 Lurker

Hi Everyone,
    I have the Rezound, when I got the ICS updates, I wanted to throw my phone out a window! Did a factory reset, tried browsing with Firefox and Chrome, still issues. Verizon sent me a refurb phone, which is great and it has Gingerbread on it. Problem is that now I'm getting messages that ICS is ready. I deferred the download. Can I totally prevent ICS from coming to my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Not without rooting it. You can root and then freeze the updater.

BTW, ICS is not bad, it is very stable and usable, think maybe you just were unlucky, I would never go back to GB, but it is up to you.

3. stkorn97

stkorn97 Well-Known Member

agreed, my phone feels so much smoother and more stable since updating, i had no problems with GB really, but this makes the phone come alive alot more than GB ever did.

4. RCS1215

RCS1215 Lurker

Thanks! I'm just worried I'll have issues again. Is it easy to root your phone? I kinda wanna give ICS another go, but its no fun having a smartphone thats dumb!

5. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast

Actually you don't have to do an update and you don't have to root the phone. You can just ignore the update notices.

In my opinion ICS adds no real function and we lost some good controls. I wish I had not updated. Check out all the continuing issues reported on this forum then decide. Time is on your side.

6. codeseven

codeseven Newbie

Hey RCS1215, just curious - what kind of issues are you having with ICS? While ICS does have a few issues, personally I think the pros outweigh the cons. But different people are having different issues and that's just my experience.

7. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

I am happy with GB, so I decided to stick with that. I didn't see any compelling reason to update.

When I received the second ICS update notice, I tapped on "Reject" and have not gotten any more notifications. (On the first notice, which came in the middle of the night, I hit cancel.)

My son did the update, and it really screwed up his phone. So badly that he had to return it. Verizon gave him a replacement.

8. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast

I hear that there are folks out there who have had no problems. I just don't know any of them.

After seeing my phone about 20 or so of my friends and coworkers went out and got the rezound. Since the update all of us have had serious problems. Even after several resets (which is a royal pain) the phone has continuing quirks, some not so minor like navigation having to be reset to factory since the updates don't work with ICS. the battery life being reduced by 40%, WIFI not working consistantly, major delays in mail and messages being received, several apps freezing for no reason, everything is slower, etc. I could go on.

All in all I see no advantage to the update and a huge number of problems. In fact I am still looking for one significant enhancement.

9. codeseven

codeseven Newbie

This is my biggest problem with it so far. My SMS/MMS is acting incredibly irregular ever since the update and is quite frustrating. I even created a thread on it. Other than that, I haven't ran into anything. But the fact that my SMS aren't working properly is very irritating.

10. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert

I have a samsung but just saying... I did the update with Odin. It was a pain to install (ask Atmazzz), but I wanted to see for myself if ICS had the problems I was reading so much about.
    After playing with this and that all night long, I decided to revert back to GB (again, thank you Atmazzz) because of no noticeable performance improvements or any especially cool new features, but lots of problems and excessive lagging.
    Just like people were saying.

Now I'm seeing several posts about doing a reset after (or is it before? IDN) the install to smooth out the problems, with positive feedback, for the most part.

When I have access to a laptop again later this week, I'm leaning towards trying it again.

It just seems like my device should have the latest operating system on it, and everything (Mod wise) is being developed for ICS and JB now (if you are into that).
    I don't think anybody is making anything for yesterdays system, just like Window's doesn't have software updates or make programs for Vista anymore.

Sooner or later, maybe even on a different device, we must have ICS, or maybe by the time our phone is truely antiquidated and we do upgrade, JB, or whatever dessert starts with "K" at that time.

I have another year before my upgrade. I personally want to try out some of the cool custom ROM's coming out without waiting for a year, so I pretty much have to.

And I think most of the problems with ICS will be resolved pretty quick, anyways.

11. rootbrain

rootbrain Android Enthusiast

My Rezound is on GB, rooted, ROM'd and working perfectly. Using it as wifi hotspot for my Nexus 7, JB, also rooted with custom kernel (shhhhh, don't tell VZ, this is a freebie, and I have gf unlimited data to boot!)

I wouldn't take my Rez off GB on a dare or a dream.

Don't need anymore dev work on this device, will continue working on my N7.

Got root? Got ROM? OTAs are blocked and I'm luvin where this is at.

12. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

Looks like I have to change what I said earlier. Since the first "rejection," I have now gotten two more update notifications. (I rejected them, as well.) So it looks like they keep nagging you to update. Also found it interesting that these notifications came even though I had 4G and WiFi OFF! Apparently, they (Verizon) can turn it back on?! Not nice.

HTC Rezound Forum

The HTC Rezound release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1620mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews