1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I put a smartphone into a scanner?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by spman, Jul 8, 2013.

1. spman

spman Android Enthusiast

Can I put a smartphone into a flatbed scanner? Will the scanner rays harm the smartphone/sensors?

Samsung S4

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

I would not mind ... but you'd try it with an old phone first before you try it with the S4 :D

Harry

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Why? Just take a screenshot

4. spman

spman Android Enthusiast

I just bought the phone now, I want to scan the phone to know what apps I have and what are the default icons. So I can know what are the additional new apps/icons that I installed myself in future.

I do not want to accidentally delete important default icons/apps (that came with the new the phone by default) in future.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I think on the S4 you press the home button and volume down simultaneously and hold for about a second it will do a screen capture.

I think this would be a safer, less frustrating method. I imagine using a scanner you would be fighting screen blackout due to no actions and possibly device orientation.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Don't think the "scanner rays" are going to damage the phone and sensors, it's only momentary light from a fluorescent lamp or LEDs. Direct sunlight is much stronger.

If you're trying to capture what's on the phone's screen with a flat-bed scanner, I don't think it's going to work. The scanner's own bright light will drown out the S4's AMOLED screen. You'll have a nice scan of the phone itself, but will probably be it.

You can use a regular digital camera or another cameraphone, NO flash, that'll probably work. Or even better take the screen-shots with the phone itself, by holding down the power and home buttons at the same time for a few seconds, I think that's the sequence for Samsungs with Jellybean....it is on mine.

spman likes this.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The apps that came with the phone cannot be deleted unless you root, and that sounds like something you're not up to at the moment. The icons wont be deleted as well, they go with whatever theme and launcher you use at a given moment. Also, if you are using Samsung's default launcher, there is a tab in the app drawer which says 'downloads', which will show you only the apps you have downloaded. Alternatively, if you go to the application manager in settings, the downloads tab there lists only the apps you have downloaded.

EarlyMon and spman like this.
  8. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Also, if you do go the screenshot route, it's very easy to share the photo with Gmail or Google Docs for holding onto.

spman likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

As mentioned, you can't remove system apps.

Rather than a picture, keeping current backups is the way to go.

Check out "Helium - App Sync and Backup"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

If you install icon packs, you can change all the app icons.

Check out "Helium - App Sync and Backup"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

Note in their description they describe saving app icons.

If you decide to root your phone (same thing as getting admin access on your pc), you'll get more backup options and flexibility. See the All Things Root subforum for your phone to learn more.

Hope this helps! :)

spman, breadnatty08 and mikedt like this.
  10. spman

spman Android Enthusiast

Hold the Power Button and the Home Button at the same time for a couple of seconds to make a screenshot.

Nothing to do with the volume down button

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

:facepalm::p. I hope that's still easier than a flatbed scanner

LilBit likes this.