1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I recover data? Got no backup, and small fortune in bitcoin on phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by norweger, Jul 29, 2020.

1. norweger

norweger Well-Known Member

I don't know what to do.

I've got no backup of my bitcoin app, and my Nokia 7.1 has crashed.

This is the story:

On Friday I went kayaking, and got some salt water on the phone.

I have no idea if the salt water has anything to do with it, because the phone worked just fine until late in the day, when it just wouldn't charge anymore.

The battery sank and sank, and when the battery was close to being dead, I got a message about that "Android system" couldn't load.

See attachment.

No matter how many times I restart I get the same message. That's where I am at today. Stuck there.

Attached Files:

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

What bitcoin app was it?
    It may be automatically backed up if it uses your Gmail account...

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Immersion in salt water probably corroded something. Repair or replacement required, not much else you can do with it.

Doesn't bitcoin keep its data online?

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. norweger

Do you think a corroded battery plug, and thus running out of power could cause the "Android system" error message?

I don't remember what bitcoin app I used; I have had it on my to-do list for years to move the coins to a cold wallet I have, but I've never come round to it. It could be I could salvage the coins somehow, but no matter what I'd really like to get the data of my Nokia back.

5. Dannydet

Open the play store and see if it's listed as installed or library. Screenshot_20200729-204947.png

mikedt and norweger like this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Android data corrupt means just that. Your installation is gone. Even if you could get the phone to boot again, you would have to either reset or reflash it, which will generate a new encryption key rendering any data unusable. My guess would be that the salt water gradually made it's way into the phone through the charging port until it shorted out just enough to corrupt your data. I'd look for an online backup as your only possibility. Sorry

FYI, the worst thing you can do to a wet phone is continue to use it.

Madasa, ocnbrze, Dannydet and 2 others like this.
  7. norweger

Appreciated.

If the Android data is corrupt, could it be that doing this funny thing could get the os going again?

I was thinking perhaps vital parts of the os is corrupt, enough to make it un-bootable, but perhaps only parts of the media is corrupt, so some of it might be salvageable? Just as long as I get a os update thru cable.

The strange thing is that the phone worked perfectly fine from 18.00 (when it got wet) until 03.00. So everything worked for nine hours after getting wet, only problem was that I couldn't charge it. I couldn't charge it, and when the battery got flat the funny "Android system" couldn't load message came. And I'm stuck there.

8. Dannydet

It's all gone. Period.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. lunatic59

Unfortunately the partitions are virtual so as soon as the os is restored the data partitions are rebuilt. Even if you could get the os restored the system would generate a new encryption key so any data found would not be recoverable.

ocnbrze, norweger and Dannydet like this.
  10. norweger

I have to click like on that, lunatic59, even though it's sad. I was hoping it would be easier to fix this than what's discussed on XDA, cuz it could be corrotion related, but sadly it's not.

11. lunatic59

The XDA thread is speaking directly to an error that happens following an update. I suspect the update confused the system as to which was actually the user data partition. Yours I believe to be real physical damage to the chips/circuits, so this 'fix' won't help you. The fact that the error message was the same is just coincidental. It's where the Android bootloader takes you when there is a problem with the file/partition structure. It would be analogous to having a car that will crank but won't start. It could be that you are out of gas, a spark plug wire came off or your head was blown. But, if your head was blown, putting gas in it won't make it go.

I'm not sure I would reset or trust the phone in it's current condition.

But before you take a hammer to it, you might want to consider a third party repair service. I don't know if Jessa (ipadrehab.com) works on Nokia's but she'd probably be able to point you to someone who can let you know if there is any hope, or it's hammer time.

norweger, mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

FYI a main premise for Android in having AES256 encrypted storage, is for security. Like storing bitcoin, if the phone did fall into the wrong hands, it may stop undesirables having access to the bitcoin. And this is why backups are very important for anything valuable like this.

norweger, Dannydet and lunatic59 like this.
  13. norweger

One tiny hope, my last hope, which might be nothing.

Every time I boot, before getting the Android system error, it says the phone has zero power. That's even though I charged it for eight hours, using two chargers.

slett-powersymbol.jpg

Some say never ever let your battery get completely flat. I got my battery completely flat. I know the phone's charge port malfunctioned shortly after salt water exposure, I know the phone worked fine until the battery was flat, so ... could it be replacing the battery would be of any help?

I dunno if complete power shortage theoretically can cause the 'Android system' booting problems.

14. lunatic59

Yes, that could be a valid scenario. If the battery is damaged and falsely reports it's output voltage it "could" cause a boot problem like this, but it's not guarantee. I see replacement batteries for Nokia 7.1 phones on eBay for around $20 so it's worth a shot. I'm not sure what's involved in replacing a battery on this phone, but if it's anything like recent Samsungs, take your time and be VERY gentle or you could cause additional damage.

ocnbrze likes this.
  15. I know you got your phone wet, you didn't say immersed or splashed.

Some Nokia phones like my Nokia 7 Plus develop charging port connection issues because of bad design/materials etc ref Nokia forums.

If a loss of bitcoin money is at stake, have you asked Nokia for a quote to look at the phone (I guess they would wipe the phone though)

I have seen on You Tube someone replacing a Charging Board on the 7 Plus, which is a small rectangular circuit board between the port and the motherboard. You might find someone who can do this.

I agree about not using a wet phone but you may not have realised.

I think it is probably a lost cause but if say there were a lot at stake, I wouldn't give up. Of course you could well be throwing good money after bad.

#15 Madasa, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020

Nokia 7.1 Forum

The Nokia 7.1 release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.84" inch screen, 12MP camera, 3/4GB RAM, Snapdragon 636 processor, and 3060mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews