1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Can I recover from this?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sodaboy581, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sodaboy581

sodaboy581 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2010
    So, I was trying to get my phone prepared to update to 2.2 and I wanted to reinstall the bloatware.

I did something stupid... I went into adb shell, went to the system/app folder and did "mv *.bak *.apk" which basically destroyed everything in that folder.

At that moment, I tried to RSDLite flash my phone the SBF but it wouldn't take...

Phone froze up, couldn't do anything and, of course, I get the Droid animation when booting infinitely due to nothing being in /system/app

I can reboot into recovery and connect the phone to my PC, but nothing really seems to happen.

I imagine I could recover the phone if someone made an update.zip which restored the default apps into the /system/app folder, but I don't have an update.zip of that nature. Even the Verizon ones I have seem to look for old versions of the files...

Does anyone have or can tailor an update.zip which would restore the system/app folder for me? I think that, if you could do that, I could be saved...

Otherwise, I think I am screwed, unless someone has another option for me...

Thanks...

Advertisement

2. sodaboy581

May 8, 2010
    I am not trying to bump or anything, I found a document on how to create my own update.zip, so I did, but I got a signature verification failed. Any advice? I probably have the wrong keys or something, as I used the ones from AndroidMod.zip (G1) Well, thanks in advance again.

3. aldo

aldo Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    Keep trying to figure out the SBF. It should return your phone to the way it was out of the box with all apps.

4. sodaboy581

May 8, 2010
    Well, I don't think the SBF will work in Windows at all anymore. The phone doesn't show up in Windows during recovery or the boot loader. I'll give Linux a try.

5. sodaboy581

May 8, 2010
    Found out how to get into the Boot Loader with Camera+Volume Down+Power.

Windows could now see the phone.

Patched version of RSDLite + SBF and GOOD TO GO!