1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can I replace HTC's launcher?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Horak, Aug 30, 2011.

1. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    - So, I rooted my Incredible recently, but I'm still very new to this world. I cower in the door frame of my safe, HTC-built home, nervous to step outside into the big, new world, haha. But, I took my friend's Eris, rooted it months ago, and have poked around on it a little bit; no more than doing Nandroids and Flashing ROM .zip files, though.
    - Anywho... I put GSB v3.8 on the Eris today, and kinda fell in love with Launcher Pro! Is there any way I can swap HTC's launcher on my Incredible with Launcher Pro? I know I can install launchers on even a non-rooted phone, but it would be in addition to my stock launcher. Is that a big deal?
    - I want to uninstall the HTC launcher to keep RAM free on my phone (haven't learned SD Card partitioning yet, one step at a time). I don't want to load up my phone. Can I do this, or would uninstalling the HTC launcher equal catastrophic failure?

Advertisement

2. fallen0127

fallen0127 Member
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    Washington

Check out some senseless roms over at xda or check out miui or cyanogenmod. Removing sense without doing it right can be catastrophic.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Do NOT uninstall Sense. Instead, just run LP as your launcher of choice. This will keep Sense in the background and it should use little if any system resources.

4. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    Okay, 'Uninstall Sense=BAD'. I may look into a different ROM. Even If I install a new launcher and use it, how could Sense use little resources? It is integrated throughout the entire phone, right? Not that I think you're wrong, cause I know that I am pretty much always the one that is wrong on this forum, haha, but could you maybe explain a bit? No big deal if you don't.

Side question, is LP really a good launcher, or are there better ones? I only know of LP.

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Yeah I agree it'll probably still use some resources. I guess my thinking is that the major use of resources from Sense is the actual launcher...your homepages and all the associated icons/widgets/etc. Honestly, I don't know exactly how far Sense goes into other areas of the phone. Does anybody really? It's like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Nobody really knows. Or if they do know, they can chime in here and educate the both of us. :D