1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Can I replace my netbook with this tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tukatz, Sep 28, 2013.

1. tukatz

tukatz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    Any reason I can't replace my netbook with this tablet?

Some apps that I run under Windows are available in Android (e.g. Money Manager EX). I believe there is something like the Windows PhotoShop Elements app installed on this tablet. I have an Office compatible app on my phone and it will run on the tablet. For those Windows apps for which there is no Android equivalent, I can run the Win app on a PC at home using the tablet as a remote via TeamViewer. These would be infrequent.

I don't do a lot of extensive word processing, but it looks like a BlueTooth keyboard/case could make longer docs a non-issue.

So what am I missing?

Advertisement

2. atg284

atg284 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Logistics
    Ohio
    You might miss the ability to use a mouse via the USB port on the netbook. Honestly, I haven't used my netbook at all in about 2 years since I got my first 10inch tablet. But that's me and I was not using it for school or work. I have a desktop for that.

3. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    Is it possible to get a mouse that will work with the tablet?

Oh, and another question. I thought I read that the tablet does not have a battery in a similar configuration to a netbook - that is, you can just pop it out and put in a new one. If that is the case, what do you do when your tablet battery will no longer hold a decent charge?

4. atg284

atg284 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Logistics
    Ohio
    I'm not sure on the mouse thing. Perhaps a Bluetooth mouse would work.

I would not worry about battery not holding a charge. I've had my HP Touchpad (android installed)for over 2 years and use it every day...EVERY DAY pretty much and it still holds a charge where I can use it for almost non-stop for 7 hours. On the plus side this new note will have a micro sub charging port so many chargers will work with it and there are many cheap portable battery packs that will charge it on the go. I'm expecting 7-9 hours of constant use with back light at 25% for this new note and its looking like it will get around that. I pre ordered the note 2014 through amazon so we shall see! :D

5. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    I hope to be able to touch and try one before ordering. We are in Italy now and will get home just before they should hit store shelves. If I decide to go ahead, I'll probably order from NewEgg.com. That way I can get free shipping and avoid sales tax. The sales tax should just about pay for a cover/keyboard and mouse. While I don't do a lot of writing on my netbook, I do touch type and believe the separate keyboard and folder/stand will be convenient.

One thing I have learned on this trip is that I have to turn off automatic updating on my Home Theater PC. It has obviously taken an update and restarted. Since it is not logged on, I can't get to it with TeamViewer. It's the PC I would operate remotely if I need to run a Windows app like FrontPage for work on our web site. Neither my wife nor I has a desktop machine. We both use netbooks for everything and hope to be able to replace them with tablets. We'll see.

atg284 likes this.
  6. atg284

atg284 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Logistics
    Ohio
    tukatz likes this.
  7. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    I've never been impressed with hardware from Microsoft, and I've been a Windows guy forever. I looked at Windows 8 for our netbooks and said thanks, but no thanks.

I'm very comfortable with the Android user interface on my phone and believe I could be very comfortable with it on a tablet. I tried a Unix flavor on my first netbook, but it isn't for the faint of heart. Installing a new app on it was a major issue. With Android it's a no-brainer.

I've watched tablets for several years and felt the they were okay as additional gadgets but not capable of being my only computer. I'm an IT guy by profession, but retired at this point. I believe the new Galaxy Note can do the job and provide a smaller and lighter device to carry when traveling. I hope I'm right and look forward to the experiment. If I go ahead with it I'll keep my netbook until I am convinced that I no longer need it.

Thanks for hanging in there and helping me with this decision, and stay tuned.

atg284 likes this.
  8. atg284

atg284 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Logistics
    Ohio
    Yeah no prob! I like the idea of using both or having the netbook as a backup. You will most likely be able to do most if not all with the Note 2014. Definitely excited to get mine! :D

9. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Male
    Full time student, Part time McDonalds crew
    Chicago IL
    Of all you do is application like things, word documents, web browsing, email then yes. But any work that requires flash, you stop need a notebook

10. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    Sorry to be coming at this from a PC/Windows perspective, but that's where I'm at presently.

So another question - can the stylus be used for any 'mouse' functions such as left clicking, scrolling, and positioning an insertion point to enter text?

11. atg284

atg284 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Logistics
    Ohio
    I believe it can "kind of". When you hover the Spen over things in the internet browser it acts like it is a mouse-over. Like having pictures pop out and such.

Here is a good video showing that. It's also a pretty good video review in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgQX...e_gdata_player

Also the reviewer states it has the ability to scroll web pages with your eye movement like in the Galaxy S4 but he doesn't demonstrate that.

12. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    The link doesn't work.

13. atg284

atg284 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Logistics
    Ohio
  14. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    I've concluded that I can't completely replace my netbook with a tablet, even after adding a bluetooth keyboard, etc. I've viewed tablets as just another gadget and resisted them.
    However, we are just back from 4 weeks in Italy. My wife and I both took our Asus 1215N netbooks. I am now thinking that the things we do with a computer when traveling are more limited and could be handled by a tablet.
    I'll close this thread by noting that I am now leaning toward the Google Nexus 7 for travel, but keeping our netbooks for use at home. Thanks for all your help.

15. Puppa

Puppa Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Linux kernel development, Android & Chrome
    Raleigh, NC
    I can confirm that my Logitech Bluetooth Mouse--which is a few years old--works great with Android. I own a 2-year-old Toshiba Netbook. This thing blows that one out of the water: better speed, faster document editing, far better screen, weight, you name it. This is an extremely versatile, impressive tablet. My only wish is that it was closer to its Nexus 10 cousin in price, but I bit the bullet anyway.

markgg likes this.
  16. AgentR

AgentR Newbie
    None

Dec 14, 2012
    On TeamViewer and login after a restart, there may be a "service" mode on the TeamViewer server side. That's how it works with VNC, as a service mode application it is available at the login screen, so you can connect, click the user name and enter the password.

I prefer RDP, but its the same idea.

I think this tablet has some very strong advantages over the netbook, primarily that the screen resolution provides an acceptable vertical pixel count for most windows applications, even if the image is a bit on the tiny side. In vehicle mapping will also work *much* better on the tablet. Email, browsing, document editing are equivalent, with maybe a slight edge to the tablet for resolution... Graphics editing would probably be better on the netbook if it had sufficient cpu muscle; but the spen does add some unique advantages there.

About the only downside, is it'd be pretty tough/impossible to play a windows game; warcrack works ok on my 11" ultracompact, it'd never work out using the droid/rdp/windows trick.

I've given this a lot of thought since getting the specs on the 2014 version. I'll be retiring my 11" ultra and swapping to the Note 10.1.

17. geoffstc

geoffstc Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2013
    Male
    You can probably get a mouse to work by using an OTG cable connected to the micro USB port.

18. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    I should preface my comments by pointing out that I haven't actually got my Note 10.1 yet (it will be coming down the chimney in Father Christmas' sack) but there shouldn't be any problem with a mouse or a keyboard.

I currently own a Xoom and I can use both a bluetooth mouse as well as an wired or wireless mouse using an OTG cable. Using a keyboard at the same does is not a problem.

Having said that, carrying all the bits and pieces around (i.e. Note, stand, mouse, keyboard, cables etc.) is a bit of a faff compared to using a netbook so I think it would turn into a bit of a pain in the bum after a while.

Yes it can be done but that doesn't mean it should be.

19. Benjie

Benjie Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Working and having fun
    Paradise
    On my old 10.1 Note, I use a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard with a case that serves as a stand for the tablet and a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse for about 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. No problems at all. The batteries last about 3 months before required charging.

20. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire