• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I revert back to my orginal Android version?

tahmadn

Lurker
Apr 15, 2018
My phone was a Galaxy Note 2 - SHG-I317 (AT&T) running Kitkat 4.4.2. I flashed a custom rom - Cyanide Marshmallow 6.0.1 -onto it but I don't like it. The phone is now showing GT-N7105 as the model. Can I go back to Kitkat? How? Also If I decide to can I go to a higher version of the android OS?

Did you take a backup using your recovery before flashing the ROM? You really should before flashing anything. If you did, restoring the backup will restore the phone to exactly the state it was in at the time (so back up any new data first).

If you didn't, you can probably find a more stock ROM you can flash instead, or else you can find original software for your model (exact model) at sammobile.com and use a program called Odin to reflash it (I can't give more detail than that, but there are people here with experience of doing this).

As for higher versions, you'll be able to see what was released officially for that phone from the same site. If you want newer than was officially released then your only chance is a custom ROM.

Reactions: Skittles
Upvote 0
Did you take a backup using your recovery before flashing the ROM? You really should before flashing anything. If you did, restoring the backup will restore the phone to exactly the state it was in at the time (so back up any new data first).

If you didn't, you can probably find a more stock ROM you can flash instead, or else you can find original software for your model (exact model) at sammobile.com and use a program called Odin to reflash it (I can't give more detail than that, but there are people here with experience of doing this).

As for higher versions, you'll be able to see what was released officially for that phone from the same site. If you want newer than was officially released then your only chance is a custom ROM.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did a backup using smartswitch - I am not sure how to access it though and if it is a backup of the whole original system. When I connect the phone to the laptop I cannot see the any files when I click GT-N7105. Any ideas on how to find and restore the backup?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones