• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I root and keep the VZ Hotspot App?

dmunz

Mar 18, 2011
Houston
I know there are free tether apps for rooted phones, but I'm curious if it is possible to root and keep the official Verizon Hotspot app. Probably lots of raised eyebrows at that, but if I chose to pay for the service I want to be able to do so after rooting.

TIA
DLM

I know almost all the ROMs I've ever tried (basically every sense ROM) have a free WiFi tether app, Dad BAMF Roms have the hacked VZW app that PapaDroid is referring too. I am not certain, but I don't see why you wouldnt be able to manually install the .apk file for it. I'm sure someone here has it on their SD, or they can find a dl link for it

Upvote 0
It may not even work, some VZW apps will only run on stock firmware or something close to stock. I am still unable to use VVM on an AOSP rom and I believe the NFL mobile app is not working on most AOSP roms. If you are really wanting to pay for the tethering pay for it and then use a 3rd party app. If you want to just tether for free then just use the 3rd party apps ;)

Upvote 0
Oh, I must have missed that he already pays for, my fault. If he wants to stay on AOSP there's no way to run it. Like yeahha said none of Verizon's app's working on AOSP. I'm assuming (you know what they say ;)) that it would work on stock rooted??

Yeah they should work on stock rooted and *most* sense roms, I am not sure how far you can get away from stock and remain on sense before they stop working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones