1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I root but still get OTA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pmgreen, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pmgreen

pmgreen Newbie

I want to root so I can install titanium backup and other root needed apps but do not want prevent OTA upgrades and/or voice the warranty.
    Saw a few posts along the same lines, but the responses vary.

Thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

rooting alone voids your warranty

IF you root and modify any system files or even "freeze" bloat with TiBu the OTA update will not install properly. Depending on how deep you go into modding after you root it's possible you won't even get prompted for the OTA.

HOwever don't let that scare you. IF you follow the proper procedures the OTA can still be yours in various ways. One of which you can always restore to a stock set up. Or most importantly once an OTA is released it's usually made available to the rooting community pretty quickly from a dev.

3. trophynuts

Also you may not even really want the OTA right when it comes out. So sometimes it's good to way a day or two anyways and see what the OTA may or may not have broke.

4. pmgreen

pmgreen Newbie

Thanks for the advice. Coming from a DroidX which I rooted (oneclick) and flashed to a custom rom.. Then VZW provided Madden OTA... finding a way to get that was a challenge

5. trophynuts

i totally understand. I cut my rooting teeth on the DroidX.

pmgreen likes this.
  6. pmgreen

pmgreen Newbie

Thanks for your advice. Does it make sense to wait to see if s-off comes to fruition or is that independent from rooting?

Besides the bw, I want to get rid of/stop the social networking stuff. It's not for me and from what I understand can be impacting battery life and performance.

7. trophynuts

well rooting isn't 100% related to S-Off depending on how far you're going to take the modding. It sounds like it may be better for you to wait another week or so and if S-off doesn't pop up by then you could go ahead and pull the trigger.

8. pmgreen

pmgreen Newbie

Thanks, do you like the Rezound better than the X?
    Does it take longer for the Rezound to charge?

9. trophynuts

i don't have the rezound anymore. I only had it for about three weeks. To answer your question though yes i liked it better than my DroidX. Don't get me wrong the DroidX was a great device for it's time though. I didn't keep track of charging times. It didn't seem any longer.

HTC Rezound Forum

The HTC Rezound release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1620mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews