• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can I root my Motorola Droid that's on Page Plus?

That's what I was afraid of also. Another poster from another forum stated that I can root and install a custom Rom, however, I would just to make sure I update the PRL after installing the rom.

I think Page Plus flashed the phone from verizon to Page Plus. I know that the esn had a lot to d o with that process but i don't know if has anything to do with rooting and/or adding a custom rom to it.

IDK....I was hoping somebody already tried or actually did root their Moto Droid.

Upvote 0
Now I don't really know much about flashing to other providers, but my own personal observation leads me to believe that a rom wouldn't interfere with those settings. I am pretty sure that the provider information is a completely different part of the phone and the roms just read from it to get it's settings. If that wasn't the case, then noone's phone would work with a different rom as it wouldn't have the proper ESN or PRL list.

Again, I am not an expert, but that is just my educated guess. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in on the subject to confirm.

Upvote 0
Now I don't really know much about flashing to other providers, but my own personal observation leads me to believe that a rom wouldn't interfere with those settings. I am pretty sure that the provider information is a completely different part of the phone and the roms just read from it to get it's settings. If that wasn't the case, then noone's phone would work with a different rom as it wouldn't have the proper ESN or PRL list.

Again, I am not an expert, but that is just my educated guess. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in on the subject to confirm.

Yeah, that's true also. I didn't think about it like that. Good point!:)

Upvote 0
As far as I know, flashing SBF files with RSD Lite will require a reactivation. But adding a custom ROM never forced me to reactivate my phone, so it shouldn't touch those settings. Of course, if you screw up the phone when it's rooted and you want to get back to stock, the SBF method (cleanest and easiest) is out of the question.

So probably, my best bet is to just stay with the stock firmware.

Upvote 0
Well I did try it and I did root it and add a custom Rom. But it was pain in the rear to unroot/remove everything and go back to stock it. I actually had to flash it and all this other stuff. But nevertheless I'm back to the stock 2.0.1 and that's all that matters.

I guess rooting is not for me. I thought that it was something like Apple Jailbreak (Cydia, Rock etc) and you just install packages, but it's not. So I'm gonna stay where I'm at...no rooting for me. ;-)

Thanks for everyone's help on this also

Upvote 0
Yeah it is....they actually use verizon towers so they are connected with verzion so you get nationwide coverage. I got unlimited minutes and text for 39.99 a month. They also throw in 20mb of data but I kinda run through that, butI have wifi so it's no big deal.

But yeah they're cool so far, I haven't had any complaints.

20MB? I could go through that in 5 minutes! :eek:

I really don't know how anyone lives with less than 1GB as a bare minimum...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones