1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can I selectively move contacts from sim to phone and vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kiwi-di, Feb 20, 2011.

1. kiwi-di

kiwi-di Newbie
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    On my previous phone, I had some contacts on my sim and others on my phone. If I needed to see one on my sim, it was easy to do and if I wanted to move it to phone that was easy too.

I transferred all the numbers on my previous phone to my sim, and put the sim into my HTC Desire. I then imported them all to my phone.

So now I have 376 people (many of whom I'll rarely need to ring but whose phone number I'd like to keep) showing up in my phone. (Don't get me started on how difficult it is with this phone to quickly find just one number!!!*).

Can I easily move the numbers I don't want to my sim card? And should I then want to move back to my phone can I do that too.

I prefer to have the numbers I rarely use on my sim card, and the ones I use most on my phone.

With all other phones this has been easy. What am I missing?

*The way of finding people is crap. If I want to find someone whose first name begins with L I get everyone whose surname starts with L first. :(

Advertisement

2. curl1

curl1 Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Look them up by this method - you want "Laurence" type in 528 - 5 (JKL) 2 (ABC) 8 (TUV) and that will locate every name with the string LAU - not necessary every contact with "L" in it. Works for me!

3. kiwi-di

kiwi-di Newbie
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Yes, I agree it works but it also seems cumbersome compared with other phones I've had. But I will live with it.

However, the main thing I want to know is how to move just some contacts from phone to sim - it is ridiculous to have nearly 400 contacts in my phone memory.

4. bps

bps Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Sorry i havent figured out how to move contacts from phone to sim but this is how to move contacts from sim to phone for anyone who wants to move contacts from sim to phone because u did ask for phone to sim but also vice-versa.
    Press on people, press menu key, press on import/export, choose import from simcard, press on phone, then put tick in those sim contacts you want to copy to phone then press save. Your chosen contacts will then be copied to phone. The same contacts will still remain on the sim, so if you want them deleted from the sim & on the phone only you can press on people, press on the sim contact you want to delete, then press menu key and choose delete.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Are you good folks referring to your SD cards? Sim cards contain no contacts.

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Sim cards can contain contacts. Thats the way most people bring their contacts from their old phones to their shiny new android devices. The problem on the Desire with sim contacts is there is no storage for storing contacts pictures, but yes, it can still read contacts stored on the sim.

7. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    You can contacts copy to SIM :)
    But you can only each contact individually copy to SIM :(
    > People > choose a contact > press Menu button > More > Copy to SIM

Harry

8. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Can't see the advantage of having contacts on SIM card. There is very limited amount of characters that can be stored and you can put only one phone number per person.

Tags: