1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I set it up so I can use Google assistant on my locked phone when I'm on my wifi only?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by batmandroid, Feb 17, 2022.

1. batmandroid

batmandroid Member

Like the title says. Is it possible?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Yes

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Yep.

Dannydet likes this.
  4. batmandroid

batmandroid Member

Ok, well, that's good to know, how do I go about doing that? is it a 3rd party thing? Or it would be in my google assistant settings? I didn't see anything like that, but maybe I missed it, or maybe my android version is too old? I have P20 Pro.

To be clear, I would like google assistant to be able to be used fully when locked, without any restrictions, but only when I'm hooked up to designated wifi hotspots.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Google Assistant should still work on that phone, as long as it's not a Chinese version Huawei. If you have a P20 Pro variant that was intended for sale and use in China, it maybe offered an OTA update to Huawei's own Harmony OS. Assistant won't work with this.

I presume you're talking about the screen-lock, and not things like carrier SIM-locks? If the phone is screen-locked with a PIN etc,, I'm pretty sure you can't use Google Assistant unrestricted. Assistant only works when the device is connected to the internet, like via WiFi hotspots.

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

just go into your phone's settings and go into the settings for google assistant. or you can do a search just go up at the top some where and there should be a search icon. search for google assistant. one of the options should be for your lock screen. you should be able to toggle the setting on or off.

and as far as to "only be used on wifi".......that is not a possibility. it is can either be turned on or off.

Dannydet likes this.
  7. batmandroid

batmandroid Member

Ok thanks. That sucks. I mean, being able to say "hey google" or whatever, even use the assistant on the lockscreen, is pretty pointless, since you have to touch the phone anyway, and you can quickly unlock with fingerprint, plus most features will ask you to unlock before you can use them.

And the security risks make sense, but I would like the choice, if I'm at home, to remove that restriction. So, if I'm on my own wifi, I could use it even with the screen off. But I guess that might drain too much power, also.

8. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

There's an app called MacroDroid that may be able to do this, if you configure it correctly.
    https://www.macrodroid.com/
    Also in the play store
    There's a whole community that shares pre-built macros also, so worth checking out