1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can I stream video from traffic cameras? (California/CalTrans uses ASX format.)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RazzMaTazz, Mar 20, 2011.

1. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    I would like to view the live traffic camera streams from the CalTrans website on my Android (v2.2) phone (LG Optimus S). However, when I go to to any of the camera links (for example, (http://www.video.dot.ca.gov/asx/Kingvale-eb-80.asx) my phone seems to try to open the RockPlayer Lite app which is on my phone, but then quickly fails and gives me the error message:

Can't open http://www.video.dot.ca.gov/asx/Kingvale-eb-80.asx to play.

Does anybody know how I can get this to work? If I click a camera link on my PC, it opens up Windows Media Player and then streams the live video. Maybe I need a different (ASX-stream-capable) media player?

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    You cant stream asx on an android. That's a windows media format, and it just doesnt work with android.

3. RazzMaTazz

Jan 28, 2011
    Thanks. I found a player (Seaman Player) which supposedly plays (and I think streams) ASX, but I can't figure out how to get it to launch when clicking on the link.

4. Bane

Bane Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    I use IP Cam Viewer to view traffic cams. California is listed as supported. There's a lite version as well if you want to try it.

RazzMaTazz likes this.
  5. RazzMaTazz

Jan 28, 2011
    Thanks Bane. IP Cam Viewer Lite allows me to see periodic snapshots (about once every 3 minutes) from the California traffic video cameras, but it doesn't allow me to view video from the California Traffic cams (which means it doesn't really let me see how fast traffic is moving). But that's a lot better than seeing nothing, so I'll keep it until I can find an app that lets me view video.

It does seem to allow video for other traffic cams, but not California's.

6. TJude

TJude Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2012
    I think ASX is a microsoft redirect or metadata file and is pretty much useless to any player but for WMP. The real video stream is inside it and seemingly could be played directly by standard HTML5 players. Not sure why CalDOT used this format, but with so many cameras out there now, I think turning the battleship might be, well, futile.