1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can I turn off everything but the most basic vital processes?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MuGGzyX, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MuGGzyX

MuGGzyX Member
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    I am just looking for a way to essentially disable everything but the android OS itself and the camera.

I am camping way out of reception range and need as much juice out of my battery as I can get. So I don't need any Phone, Contact, Messaging, Data, Synch, or anything like that, really just a Camera, and maybe the ability to turn on the GPS if it will even work.

I tried keeping it turned off but turning it on when I needed it took a long time and seemed to use up more juice than just leaving it on and in sleep mode.

I know I could go into Titanium and "Freeze" everything but I think that would take forever to do and undo.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    turn the phone on Airplane mode

i do believe you can still use the GPS feature with it but im not 100% sure, someone else will gladly say im wrong. but airplane mode is what you want, essentially you have no service and all you have is whats on the phone that doesnt send data.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    If you freeze the wrong stuff you could end up with an unbootable phone or increased battery use as something tries to start a service that isn't available.

Airplane mode is your best bet. An extended battery would help too. :D

4. z0mb13m4n

z0mb13m4n Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    I'd also say that airplane mode is what you're wanting.

Something you should think about buying is a solar power/handcrank cell phone charger. Most (if not all) are also AM/FM radios and a flashlight. They are great things to have on hand in any sort of emergency situation too. I recommend this one: Amazon.com: Et