1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I Turn Off or Disable 4G speed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brookchef, Jul 31, 2014.

1. brookchef

brookchef Newbie

Hello Forum!

My LG G3 is with T-Mobile. I am looking to disable the 4G speed on my phone and limit the speed to 3G.

I have tried changing the setting found in 'System Settings/Tethering & Networks/Mobile Networks/Network Mode' to every other setting listed besides the first one which includes 'LTE auto'. When I choose 'GSM / WCDMA auto', I still get 4G speeds. When I choose 'WCDMA only', I still get 4G speeds. When I choose 'GSM only', my speed is reduced to 2G. Does anyone know if there is a way to limit my speed to 3G?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

3. BadgerRed

BadgerRed Newbie

Are you actually doing a speed test, or rather relying on what the phone is displaying as the active technology?

LTE is true 4G speeds

WCDMA (UMTS) is 3G
    "Enhanced" WCDMA (HSPA) is 3.5G, while HSPA+ is considered 3.75G
    GSM is 2G

Carriers sometimes market (quasi-falsely) HSPA and HSPA+ as 4G, and some phones display a '4G' icon when utilizing those technologies. If you choose the WCDMA option, the LTE radio should be disabled, unless there is a bug.

4. brookchef

brookchef Newbie

Thank you BadgerRed for your reply. I have not done any speed tests. I am in fact relying on the icon the phone is displaying. Now I am off to see how to run a speed test.

Thanks again.

5. Gremlin256

Gremlin256 Android Enthusiast

there is an app on the play called speedtest by ookla... it is the most used app.. Sorry still confused why you want to disable 4g.

6. brookchef

brookchef Newbie

I am looking to test the data caps put in place by the carrier. Specifically, the ads state that you get a certain amount of data at 4g speeds and then they throttle your service. What will happen if I never use data at 4G speeds? If I read correctly, using 3G and not 4G should result in no throttling of data speed.

Thank you for your replies.

7. Gremlin256

Well if you are VZ and you are on unlimited (hypothetically) data, VZ will throttle your 4g speed of how you access the internet through the closest cell tower because according to their reasoning, it affects other people's internet speeds..

So if you don't use 4g, you will be accessing internet at 3G speeds.. So download speedtest.net from play store and test it. Since you don't see 3g but your phone sees 2g, I am assuming you are on Sprint?

8. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert

VZW is NOT currently throttling unlimited customers. There is a indication that they will start in Oct. But the FCC just got involved so that may not happen.

9. Gremlin256

I should have worded that better... But you know they are going to do it so just assume it is in present case :p

10. brookchef

brookchef Newbie

I am on T-Mobile

LG G3 Forum

The LG G3 release date was June 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2/3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

June 2014
Release Date
Reviews