• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can I type a return character in SMS?

Maybe I am a bit weird wanting to spell, punctuate and format my SMS messages nicely while the rest of humanity "abbrevs evthng & no full stops lol"

… well I know what an ellipsis and semi-colon are, and I was overjoyed to find them available on my G1 keyboard; also there is the return key— but when I press it, Android takes that to mean "send message" whereas I would rather wait and press the send button! So much of my texting so far has been broken up into two or three messages and then followed by an apology. :mad:
I wonder if I could copy and paste a return? Any better ideas?

Possibly using and Alt-Enter would work ... like it works when you want to put a return/new line within an Excel worksheet Cell ... I have not tested it with our SMS ...

TRIAL : I tried the Alt-Enter ... and that didnt work

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that you don't know the screen size of the device you are sending the text to, so it would be better to type in a run on style double spacing between sentences and letting the device you are sending it to determine how to layout the screen. Especially if the other device has a small screen hitting the return will only chop up the screen and force the other user to scroll up and down to see your whole text.

Upvote 0
Andy Rubin, founded Danger the makers of the Sidekick. Their entire pitch to the carriers was software as as service. Allowing you to have PIM functions that were stored in the cloud/internet. Allowing devs to create apps and share in the revenue with the carriers and Danger.

At some point he left Danger and founded Android. I don't have any inside knowledge but likely it was not heading in the direction he wanted with Danger. Android was bought early on by Google and lived in silence for a few years.

The keyboard layout, the software market, the embracing devs are all very much seen in his earlier work. I think that the evolution of the iPhone and Google's footprint certainly has made some changes to the way they do things.

But the idea that Android as an OS will be on many devices was the goal of Danger in the first place. In fact the Sidekick was supposed to be a reference platform, so that many manufacturers could jump on board and build their own hardware. Clearly the Google muscle has helped him realize this vision.

And we all benefit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones