• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Steveyg777

Lurker
Apr 4, 2021
Last night my phone suddenly reported that my sd card (sandisk extreme Pro 128gb micro sd) had a problem (i think to write to it) so it has made it read only. After restarting the sd card wasnt detected any longer. When connecting it to my Mac or asked if i wanted to format it. When looking at it in an app or seemed it was so as exfat format(is that normal for Android?). I used 2 days recovery apps that found about 1\3rd of the data.

1. What has actually happened to the card and was it the card or my android (Samsung galaxy s10+)?

2. What is the best way to un delete the card to recover correctly from? If not possible what is the best way to recover as much data as possible? (Should i use Windows or can i use Mac for the same effectiveness?)

3. should i reformat the card after recovering the data or just bin it? I'd there a way to assess if it is trustworthy still?

SD cards die, typically just like this. If you're lucky they stop writing before they stop reading so you can recover the data before throwing them away. In this case you got some of the data back, it is possible by trying some different recovery programs you might be able to get more.
Just get as much as you can off of it, don't bother to reformat or try to use it any further as it's most certainly shot. Get a new one.

Upvote 0
Depends on what computer operating system you use. But for just recovering files from an SD card most recovery tools will do the job, so if I assume you are using Windows (as people who don't specify usually are) then try Recuva as that's free.

If you have something more serious, such as master boot record failure on the card, then you may need something more sophisticated. And there are some failures from which nothing can be recovered (especially if the card was encrypted, as will be the case if it was "formatted as internal storage" on Android).

I know nothing about phone apps for this: it's one of the many tasks I'd never use a phone for.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones