1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can I uninstall the default "Home" app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ktchong, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ktchong

ktchong Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 8, 2010
    Since I only use GO Launcher EX as my home screen app and no longer use the LG Esteem's default Home screen app, can I uninstall the "Home" app? Would removing "Home" cause any problem?

The default Home is interfering with how I usually use the Home key, (when I press Home, I want to go to GO Launcher, not the default Home, but the default Home keeps resetting itself; it is also running in the background and wasting my phone's resources.)

Advertisement

2. DONLATINOHEAT

DONLATINOHEAT Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2012
    Southern California
    Why would you want to uninstall it just make the launcher you want to use the default one

3. chicomostoc

chicomostoc Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    yes you can try with titanium backup app

4. ktchong

None

Jan 8, 2010
    Let's just put it this way: I do not use it. It is useless to me. I do not want it wasting my phone resources. It is no different from how I have removed all the bloatware and crapware that came pre-installed with the phone.

5. ktchong

None

Jan 8, 2010
    But would it create any problem for the phone? Is the "Home" an app that is required for the phone to run? i.e., is it an integral part of the OS or system?

Right now, Home automatically starts and runs in the background (even though I am not using it,) and I can't kill the process. I wonder if that means it is an integral part of the phone system.

6. LDrifta

LDrifta No Stranger 2 Danger
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Male
    Graphic-arts
    Lynn, MA
    no 'lghome.apk' is not a required app, you can un-install it but you need to remember that your new launcher is installed to data/app, meaning if you ever do a data wipe for any reason you will no longer have a launcher for the phone lol meaning it wont work..

so the smartest choice would be to get your hands on the actual apk file for go launcher and push it to system/app first, then delete the lghome apk :D

7. Mexjoker

Mexjoker I'm Not Real, Doris!
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    Male
    High School Student
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Titanium Backup Can Convert The App into a System App

8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I would recommend taking a nand backup before trying this though (as with any messing with system).

9. epayne123

epayne123 Android Expert
    None

Like LD said, the BIGGEST problem with people wanting to use a 3rd Party launcher and delete the stock launcher(Home) is they end up doing a FDR and lose all downloaded applications which in turn removes the 3rd Party launcher from the phone leaving you with no launcher to use when you turn the device on. When you download apps, the APKs go straight to data/app or data/app-private. All you need to do when replacing a stock app like the launcher or anything that is an essential genre of app that is needed for the phone to function properly is to take the 3rd Party App(GoLauncher) and MOVE it from "data/app" or "data/app-private" to "system/app" thus allowing you to do a FDR reset and not removing the 3rd Party App. data/app folder is completely erased when doing an FDR but system/app is not affected at ALL except for clearing user-data within those apps so just move the apk over from there.

Pappy62 likes this.
  10. LDrifta

None

Jun 7, 2011
    Male
    Graphic-arts
    Lynn, MA
    that was like wayyyyy smarter than how i said it lolol

11. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Just use RT or RE to move the apk to the system app folder like Payne and ldrifta said. Delete lg home then hit your home key and put go as your default . I do it on every rom with adw ex.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

12. ktchong

None

Jan 8, 2010
    GO Launcher EX update quite frequently. After I use Titanium Backup to move it into the system/app, will future updates automatically override and replace the GO launcher files in the system folder? Or will I have to move the new update into system/app again? How does it work?

13. LDrifta

None

Jun 7, 2011
    Male
    Graphic-arts
    Lynn, MA
    well any time an app updates the new apk file is stored in data/app, but the installation of the app overrides the one on your device, but again if you ever do a data wipe you will lose the update to the apk, but you will still have the previous copy safely saved in system/app folder :D

14. ManlyParasite

ManlyParasite Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2011
    Tech
    A dark room

Just is what allows you to uninstall updates without removing the entire app lol

Tags: