1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I update to Froyo while rooted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scubab, Feb 8, 2011.

1. scubab

scubab Newbie

I've rooted my CDMA HTC Desire and had a custom ROM for 2.2. Since the official Froyo was released today I restored with my last Nandroid backup which reverted it to the custom ROM but unfortunately I've lost the backup I did before rooting. From what I understand doing an oficial upgrade on a rooted phone will brick it and the kicker is, at least everywhere I've read, there is no stock RUU available for the USCC CDMA Desire. Any advice as to what I can do to get the official 2.2 installed without destroying my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

from what i understood if you upgrade whilst rooted all it does is remove your root access (so you'll have to root again once updated.) but dont quote me on that.

EDIT:

Hold the phone, i've now read that what you say is correct, if you use an OTA update on a rooted device it sticks on the boot, so the best thing is simply unroot your device, upgrade and reroot. Z4ROOT which can be download off the net has an unroot option, see if that works.

3. scubab

scubab Newbie

Thanks for the advice on the program but unfortunately it didn't work. It stated it was complete but SuperUser still exists and Root Checker app says I'm still rooted as well. Any other suggestions?

4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

No. The only safe way to unrooted is using an official ruu

5. scubab

scubab Newbie

And to verify, one does not exist for this phone correct? I've done a lot of research and can't find one but I've been known to overlook the obvious :p

EDIT: to add, it is not an OTA update; it's downloaded from HTCs website. I'm unsure if that matters or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

That's right but now there is an update around, you may see one soon

7. scubab

scubab Newbie

One more inquiry then. I do have access to the same model of phone that houses the stock ROM. Would there be any way for me to extract it from that phone and load it into mine? I know that's a far stretch but it doesn't hurt to ask o_O

8. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

scubab likes this.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Looking at the page linked in your other thread, the software download looks like an RUU, and the installation instructions that come with it are those for running an RUU. So my guess is that this is the long-awaited US Cellular RUU.

If so, as long as you have a USCC phone you should be able to just run the RUU, which will unroot and upgrade the software. It will also wipe your phone in the process though.

Edit: Ah, Eddy beat me to it - in this thread at least :)

scubab likes this.
  10. scubab

scubab Newbie

That's the new Froyo update that was just released. I had a custom ROM for it but since I saw that there was an official release I did a Nandroid restore but unfortunately it was a backup just prior to the custom ROM, not prior to the root. So now I have a rooted phone with the stock 2.1 :/

11. scubab

scubab Newbie

That was my original inquiry; if I'm rooted will it be safe to upgrade to the official Froyo?

12. Hadron

VIP Member

The thing you can't do when rooted is accept an over the air update. But that's not what this is: this is the RUU that everyone has said doesn't exist for USCC, because it didn't until now :)

scubab likes this.
  13. scubab

scubab Newbie

Great to know. I had an edit to one of my replies above asking if it even mattered since it wasn't OTA. I'm currently downloading the 2.2 now but it's taking hours unfortunately. Thanks for the reassurance...I was ready to just try anyway but better safe than sorry!
    +Thanks

14. Hadron

VIP Member

Yeah, even downloading the instructions (2 MB pdf) was very slow, so I hate to think how long the software itself takes!

This is good news - there have been a lot of people looking for a USCC RUU.

15. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

You also can't nandroid before rooting so it wouldn't make any difference. At least you now have an RUU to revert to if you ever wanna go stock

16. scubab

scubab Newbie

That would explain a lot and now that you say that it's a *derp* moment. It's been so long since I rooted that I didn't even think about that.

17. scubab

scubab Newbie

I've been downloading it for 2+ hours now. Customers and all the technicians across the company are currently trying to pull it down. Hopefully it will finish before I get off work! I'll be so happy to have the HTC Sense UI available again. The ROM I was running was pretty basic but it was worth the loss of Sense to be able to have more than just Angry Birds on my phone :eek:

18. Hadron

VIP Member

It's funny how tastes differ - I stopped using the Sense launcher long before I rooted, never mind changed ROMs, and can't really imagine going back to Sense. But it's good to have the choices.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews