1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

can i upgrade a 2.2 android phone to 2.4 ice-cream sandwich ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by santhosh.s, Sep 26, 2011.

1. santhosh.s

santhosh.s Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi all

I am yet to buy a new android phone. I am looking for a mid-ranged android smart phone. I am quite impressed with LG optimus one as it has a decent hardware configuration and is in my budget.
    But it is available in 2.2 android( which can be upgraded to 2.3)

But since 2.4 android updates are round the corner by this year end, i don want to end up buying a phone which cant be upgraded further.
    So plz suggest me weather 2.2 android phone with 512MB RAM and 600Mhz processor LG optimus one can be upgraded to 2.4 ice-cream sandwich ?

Thanks & Regards
    Santosh.S
    India

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, Santosh!

Considering that the spec's for Android are demanding higher hardware requirements for each version, even if the Optimus met the minimum, it would be so close to the bottom as to give you an unsatisfactory experience. It doesn't even meet the minimum specification to run the Flash player.

You should also understand that Google hasn't even released ICS yet, so until they do, nobody can say for sure. I would guess that LG would not bother updating older phones so your only choice for getting ICS on your phone would be by flashing a custom ROM. You will simply have to wait to see if the developer community can and will make a ROM for the Optimus.

3. santhosh.s

santhosh.s Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi

Thanks for your warm welcome. can all 2.3 gingerbread phone be upgraded to 2.4 ICS ? ?

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Google has not yet listed the final hardware requirements for ICS, so it's difficult to say. It would be a fair assumption that if the phone was released with Gingerbread then it should be able to upgrade to ICS. Generally phones are good for at least one upgrade, unless they are bottom of the line budget handsets.