1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

can i upgrade a rooted phone to ice cream sandwich when it's available?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by gav989, Dec 27, 2011.

1. gav989

gav989 Lurker

Hi all,

new to android etc, been using a normal phone until i spilt tea all over it and it died. just ordered a sony ericsson xperia mini and had a quick google for some nerdy things to do with it (i'm an arch linux level nerd) and am pretty interested in rooting it when it arrives

however one of the reasons i chose this particular phone is because it has been listed by sony as being eligible for ice cream sandwich upgrade sometime next year

if i root it when it arrives (currently with 2.3 gingerbread) will i still be able to upgrade to ice cream sandwich?

thanks

TL;DR if i root a phone can i still upgrade to ice cream sandwich?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Depends on the method of rooting you will use. For example, a root using something like SuperOneClick would allow you to update, but a root requiring a flashing of the ROM like Odin won't let you update unless you restore it back to the unrooted official ROM for the device.

Note than when you upgrade, the old root won't work anymore, so any apps that need root access when you update get disable or unuseable. You need to root it again.

3. valorian

valorian Android Expert

The only way would be to un-root the phone if a method is available for this phone. Most custom ROMs block any OTA upgrades sent from the OEM and Carriers. Your other option is to wait for a developer to release a custom ICS ROM for this phone.

4. gav989

gav989 Lurker

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

No.. you can not take the update from the carrier if you have root. YOU should not even try!.. you will loose the root and may cause issues. Then you might have to wait till a new root method is found for your device.

just wait for the Dev Community to take the official upgrade and repackage it for your rooted phone. This is normally pretty fast.. a day or two.

6. gav989

gav989 Lurker

oh yeah that would be an option, i'll go ahead and root it when it gets here...

thanks for the help all