• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can i use any 64gb microsd card?

Mind if I join in here?

Every time I see a thread like this, I get more confused. So I'm hoping to clarify.

If I have a galaxy note 10.1 and I buy a 64Gb microsd card, like the one mentioned by James, can I simply plug it into the tablet and it will run?

If the answer is no, what steps must I take to make it run?

In other words, is formating the card using GUIFormat absolutely necessary or simply a preference?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Mind if I join in here?

Every time I see a thread like this, I get more confused. So I'm hoping to clarify.

If I have a galaxy note 10.1 and I buy a 64Gb microsd card, like the one mentioned by James, can I simply plug it into the tablet and it will run?

If the answer is no, what steps must I take to make it run?

In other words, is formating the card using GUIFormat absolutely necessary or simply a preference?

Thanks.

You can buy the card James linked to. The problem I had with mine was that Windows 7 was not dealing well with it and every time I connected it it would disappear, show weird things etc., so for compatibility I formatted it to FAT32 using GUIFormat.

If you think yours will not cause porblems on your PC, you do not have to format it to FAT32.

Upvote 0
You can buy the card James linked to. The problem I had with mine was that Windows 7 was not dealing well with it and every time I connected it it would disappear, show weird things etc., so for compatibility I formatted it to FAT32 using GUIFormat.

If you think yours will not cause porblems on your PC, you do not have to format it to FAT32.

Thanks for the quick reply.

My question relates to the use of that sdhc card solely in the galaxy note 10.1 tablet - I don't wish to connect it directly to my XP laptop.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
How are you going to get content onto the card then?

The card will work just fine one the tablet

Hmmm. One of is is confused.

If I have the card inserted into the tabs sd slot, can I not transfer content to it from my PC using Kies? (or Microsoft Explorer?) What am I missing here?

My question is about whether the card will work, as purchased, when inserted in the tab slot.

You seem to be saying 'yes'. Is that correct?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. One of is is confused.

If I have the card inserted into the tabs sd slot, can I not transfer content to it from my PC using Kies? (or Microsoft Explorer?) What am I missing here?

My question is about whether the card will work, as purchased, when inserted in the tab slot.

You seem to be saying 'yes'. Is that correct?

Cheers.

Yes.

You can also connect it to PC while it is in the Note, no problem.

Upvote 0
All the info in here has been brilliant, i have an on-going issue that i can't seem to fix though.

I have now gone through 2 cards, the first one thinking it was broke so i sent it back, and my unit is doing the exact same with my new card.

When i got my first card which was a sandisk ultra 64gb sdxc card, i thought it was originaly a bad card as my unit wouldn't see it, plus when i put it into my laptop and formatted it, it only showed as 32gb.

i exchanged that card for basically the same one, but it said made for android on it.

I put that straight into my unit when i opened it and that said the same thing on my unit, can now safely remove card, and when i went to settings > storage, there was no sign of a card, it just said mount card, and if i did this, it would say preparing card then a little after say i can safely remove it again and still show nothing.

i have now put this card back on my laptop and formatted it as fat32 (as i thought this one was going to be already seems it says its made for android devices), and again, it shows on my laptop as only 32gb and not 64gb, the file system is fat32 as well.

i have seen screen shots of people using this card in a 10.1 and their storage does show as 64gb.

i have tried using hp format utility and guiformat to format as fat32 (both show on unit but only as 32gb), i have tried using windows 7 formatter to format as exfat (which wont show in my unit), i have also tried sdformatter 3.1 which also doesn't seem to get my 64gb to show.

can anyone help, i surely couldn;t have got 2 bad cards?

james

Upvote 0
All the info in here has been brilliant, i have an on-going issue that i can't seem to fix though.

I have now gone through 2 cards, the first one thinking it was broke so i sent it back, and my unit is doing the exact same with my new card.

When i got my first card which was a sandisk ultra 64gb sdxc card, i thought it was originaly a bad card as my unit wouldn't see it, plus when i put it into my laptop and formatted it, it only showed as 32gb.

i exchanged that card for basically the same one, but it said made for android on it.

I put that straight into my unit when i opened it and that said the same thing on my unit, can now safely remove card, and when i went to settings > storage, there was no sign of a card, it just said mount card, and if i did this, it would say preparing card then a little after say i can safely remove it again and still show nothing.

i have now put this card back on my laptop and formatted it as fat32 (as i thought this one was going to be already seems it says its made for android devices), and again, it shows on my laptop as only 32gb and not 64gb, the file system is fat32 as well.

i have seen screen shots of people using this card in a 10.1 and their storage does show as 64gb.

i have tried using hp format utility and guiformat to format as fat32 (both show on unit but only as 32gb), i have tried using windows 7 formatter to format as exfat (which wont show in my unit), i have also tried sdformatter 3.1 which also doesn't seem to get my 64gb to show.

can anyone help, i surely couldn;t have got 2 bad cards?

james

Your card reader you use with your laptop is at fault as it does not work iwth SDXC cards. Best to buy a card like that iwht an adapter already, so that you are sure the adapter itself works.

Reactions: james_uk
Upvote 0
You are correct, i have just checked and my kingston mobilelite g2 doesn't support sdxc, i am assuming my laptop which is about 2 years old also doesn't.

will i have to buy a card reader that says it supports sdxc for me to be able to format it properly?

thank you for the info its been really helpful

Upvote 0
You are correct, i have just checked and my kingston mobilelite g2 doesn't support sdxc, i am assuming my laptop which is about 2 years old also doesn't.

will i have to buy a card reader that says it supports sdxc for me to be able to format it properly?

thank you for the info its been really helpful

Buy a card reader made by someone like SanDIsk and you should be fine. They used to have MicroMate readers specifically fro MicroSD.

Upvote 0
thank you so much for your help, i have been going around in circles wondering why it wouldn't work.

i have just ordered a reader that says it fully supports xc cards, when i get it should it show as 64gb straight away on my laptop or will i have to format it again in the new card reader?

Upvote 0
thank you so much for your help, i have been going around in circles wondering why it wouldn't work.

i have just ordered a reader that says it fully supports xc cards, when i get it should it show as 64gb straight away on my laptop or will i have to format it again in the new card reader?

It should work straight away and see the card as 64GB with around 59GB free, but if it does not, you know what to do ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones