1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I use genuine HTC Desire car charger with a Nexus?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SubaruWRX2003, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SubaruWRX2003

SubaruWRX2003 Lurker

I've got a genuine HTC car charger that I used with my Desire, the Nexus uses the same connector, can I use it with the Nexus or have I got to buy a special Samsung one?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast

I don't see why not? I'm using some generic mini usb/usb charging cable. I used it in my car and it charges both my old Droid X and G. Nexus.

3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

The sales lady I talked to said that any mini usb charger will work.

4. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Android Enthusiast

I've used various chargers I had from my old Nexus One (made by HTC) - the original-in-the-box mains one, USB cable from laptop, cheapo

5. DSCR

DSCR Well-Known Member

Check the fine print on the charger.

If output is 5v, it will not hurt the GNexx.

Chances are that it outputs 500 milliamps, the same as a computer usb port. The stock wall charger is 5v, 1a.

You should be fine.

theartfullodger likes this.
  6. LandLockedPH

LandLockedPH Well-Known Member

I think she meant to say, micro usb.

7. LandLockedPH

LandLockedPH Well-Known Member

BTW... I noticed that the wall charger that comes with the GNEX has a slightly higher output than those coming with previous Samsung phones. The GNEX wall charger outputs 1.0A vs. .7A from previous Galaxy S devices.

8. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

lol - or I did. :)

In any case it turns out to be not quite accurate. I have a generic retracting charger in my car that the GNex would not work with. When I plugged it in to the GNex nothing happened. However the charger works with other phones, so I know it's not defective. It does have a REALLY thin cable (better for retracting) so I suspect that there is some wire that is missing that the GNex needs to charge.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews