1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can I use JB Weld on a cracked touch screen?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by brians34, Jul 26, 2013.

1. brians34

brians34 Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    My son dropped his Nexus and of course it cracked the glass. The crack is on the side not affecting the view of the face at all and it has a couple of chipped pieces. I was just going to try filling the area with something like silicone, JB Weld, or auto windshield repair.

I'm wondering if anyone might know what I can use that will not interfere with the touch screen. I'm thinking that silicone might be too much like "skin" touching that it might not work. Would like others' opinions.

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    I think I'd be tempted to have the phone repaired anyway as cracks (assuming they go all the way through the glass) would make the phone even less water tight and thus even more likely to die from water damage.

Also, if the cracks are big enough that some of the silicone might get through, you should definitely not try.

Re whether or silicone would work: could you put some elsewhere, let it dry and see if the screen is sensitive to it?

3. brians34

brians34 Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    That's a good idea ST about putting the silicone on another area to see how it would react with the touch screen.

About repairing, I wouldn't have any problem attempting the repair, but found that the cost for getting the lcd plus digitizer would cost more than just buying him another tablet (albeit it wouldn't be a Nexus) for between $90 to $100.

The cheapest lcd + digitizer combo I believe was in the neighborhood of $139.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Find out if its possible to replace just the outer glass :thumbup:

5. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    What are you trying to accomplish by filling? Just to smooth jagged edges? If so, hot melt glue should be perfect.

If you're trying to prevent crack nucleation, I think auto windshield repair stuff might be your only effective option.

6. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Worst part about the tablet, the screen breaks and it is just about worthless. You might just be better off putting a screen protector over it instead of trying to repair it and possible making it worse...

LilBit likes this.
  7. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Apparently you've never had a laptop fall onto the floor after a dog got caught in the power cord, and then discovered the cracked screen. Tablets are a bit more durable. My Nexus 7 first day fell "butter side down" onto concrete and hit directly on one corner, and all it did was put a very fine, hardly noticed scratch on it, and dented the silver bezel. Had that been a laptop the hard drive and LCD would be gone. FYI screen protectors stop scratches but don't do anything to stop cracks

8. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2013
    Male
    Direct Support Professional
    South Georgia
    Wha..?? Good lord look on Amazon man!

Here you are:Amazon.com: Generic Black Color Asus Google Nexus 7 LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Parts Replacement Lens Repair Part Touchpanel Touchscreen: Computers & Accessories

Is this what you are looking for?

9. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    That's not entirely true. Cracks occur when the stress on the glass is higher than the bond between the glass molecules. The bond between the screen protector and glass is not as strong, but it does divert some of the impact loads away from the glass (therefore the stresses in the glass are lower) and into the protector itself. So for borderline impacts, a screen protector could prevent the glass from otherwise cracking. :)

10. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    I'm just amazed that it didn't shatter the Nexus 7 screen. I read reviews saying that they shatter in pockets so I was pretty relieved concrete didn't do anything. Especially given the nature of the impact. Five feet off the ground fell, hit the lower right corner directly then fell screen down and slid a few feet. I had it on top of my laundry basket and it just fell. Stupid idea I know.

11. brians34

brians34 Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    I did a search on Amazon, don't remember what my exact search for was, but the only ones that came up was like

For Asus Google Galaxy Nexus 7 Tablet LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Parts

&

LCD & Digitizer Assembly for Asus Google Nexus 7

I did go on Ebay and got them for $65.

Since I did purchase this on Ebay, I went ahead and decided to try an epoxy using Loctite's Glass glue figuring if it did kill it, no big deal.

Just to complete this thread and so everyone knows, it didn't work. The touchscreen is not working now.

funkylogik and LilBit like this.
  12. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2013
    Male
    Direct Support Professional
    South Georgia
    I'm glad you found one you wanted to purchase. Thanks now I know if my screen cracks glass glue will mess it up.

13. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Lol. Thanks for the update man :beer: