• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I use phone charger instead?

When I'm travelling I use the charger from my Galaxy Nexus to charge my N7 and it works just fine. As others have said in this thread it is slower than the Nexus's own charger, but not disastrously so.

I'm a bit paranoid about using the N7 charger to charge my GNEX in case the GNEX charges too fast and heats up the battery. Overheating lithium batteries shortens their life. However check before you believe what is probably just superstition on my part.

Upvote 0
I've never had any problem with any of my multiple chargers either. But a further comment ...

It appears that the Nexus will charge, if current is available, at up to about 1.2A. It appears that it draws about 0.5 or 0.6A to run. Thus the 2A Asus charger will run it and charge at full rate simultaneously.

When "off", the charge rates from my Motorola 850mA changers and my Asus 2A charger seem substantially the same. When "on", charge is quick with the Asus charger, and slower with the Motorola. I have a car charger that is 500mA max, as are most computer USB ports (that's the USB standard). Depending on screen brightness and what I'm doing, the charger sometimes doesn't even keep up ... but it is close.

If I plug it in going to bed, all seem to fully charge it by morning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones