• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I use Tasker to turn on and off 4G?

OM2

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
I need a widget to turn off and on 4G

I've looked and all seem to be a few years old
None work

I just need to have a shortcut that takes me to the setting
Would prefer a widget that I click though

Can I do with something like Tasker?

Thanks

You can use Tasker to change mobile connection modes. A toggle I'm not so sure about: I don't think it would be as simple as 4G on/off, as that isn't one of the Network Type settings (Action > Net > Mobile Network Type). Probably you want something that could change it between "2G And 3G" and "Auto" - as both of those settings exist it's probably doable, but would need a bit of thought (I've not created or used a Tasker widget in years myself). A pair of widgets would be very simple, but not what you want I'm sure.

A shortcut to the mobile data settings is probably easier. It looks like the "Any Cut" app I used to use, which allowed you to create a shortcut to literally anything, is no longer available, but a search for it in the Play Store does give you a list of alternative shortcut creators. It should be easy to use one of those to create a shortcut to network settings, to get all the way into the network mode may be less straightforward or require some extra knowledge (e.g. exactly what that particular setting is called internally).

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
You can use Tasker to change mobile connection modes. A toggle I'm not so sure about: I don't think it would be as simple as 4G on/off, as that isn't one of the Network Type settings (Action > Net > Mobile Network Type). Probably you want something that could change it between "2G And 3G" and "Auto" - as both of those settings exist it's probably doable, but would need a bit of thought (I've not created or used a Tasker widget in years myself). A pair of widgets would be very simple, but not what you want I'm sure.

A shortcut to the mobile data settings is probably easier. It looks like the "Any Cut" app I used to use, which allowed you to create a shortcut to literally anything, is no longer available, but a search for it in the Play Store does give you a list of alternative shortcut creators. It should be easy to use one of those to create a shortcut to network settings, to get all the way into the network mode may be less straightforward or require some extra knowledge (e.g. exactly what that particular setting is called internally).
Hey! Just saw your reply. Didn't realise you had replied.

2 widgets - I could live with.
I wasn't sure if you meant I CAN do in Tasker... or if I can get widgets that do one of the single functions?

Let me know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey! Just saw your reply. Didn't realise you had replied.

2 widgets - I could live with.
I wasn't sure if you meant I CAN do in Tasker... or if I can get widgets that do one of the single functions?

Let me know. Thanks.

Tasker will allow turning on or off various airplane mode items in response to an event, such as a shake of the phone, see screencap, perhaps something like that would do the trick sc_11-21-20_45736.png

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones