• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can my HTC dream run ICS? (or at least GB 2.3.5)

bennylava

Aug 20, 2011
Hi all. I am in possession of an HTC dream. Its a brand new phone still in box. Somehow lol. Its the phone that introduced android 1.0. So yea, its old. Not real sure how, but my cousin got this this phone and he wants me to update it to the latest version of android possible for him. As we all know updating isn't real difficult, but finding the correct firmware can be.

So I saw this vid, where the guy updates the dream

HTC Dream / G1 - running Android 2.2.1 - Froyo - YouTube

And it lags just a little, not enough to be really bothersome. And if it can run froyo, I'm sure it can run Gingerbread. Maybe not extremely well like all the hot new stuff, but that really doesn't matter. Do you think it could run ICS?

I have seen one ROM here that is running ICS, but if you watch the video in the first post you can see how much lag there is, it's crazy!

I'm trying to find the absolute latest the Dream can run decently
- I would go with a Froyo 2.2 ROM as looking through the Gingerbread ROMs they look pretty laggy too. I think 2.2 should be stable enough to run without any issues

Upvote 0
I have heard that Android 2.2 is probably the sweet spot for the T-Mobile HTC G1. It CAN run Android 2.3.

However, Android 2.3 is more aggressive with kicking apps our of memory, so multitasking is a bit hampered on a handset with only 192 MB of RAM. That being said, I run CyanogenMod 7.2 on my Sprint HTC Hero with absolutely no issues, but it DOES have 288 MB of RAM, but virtually the same CPU and GPU as the T-Mobile HTC G1. I think it is the RAM that is the main reason to stick with Android 2.2 on your handset. With the additional RAM of my handset, Android 2.3 is super fast and smooth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones