• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can my love for the desire be saved?

D

Deleted User

hey :)

i have had my desire for a few months now and i love it well i think i do.....
my only real problem is the CAMERA.
i had 5 mp cameras before and found them to be good and i thought it would be the same for the desire, although im so very wrong. the camera i have found to be shocking, i took a picture of a red box today the desires colours were rubbish same picture on my n95 and the pictures were an awful lot better.... i'm fully aware that the desire is not a camera. my friend has an iphone 4 with a5 mp camera and the shots are pretty darn good.

is there anyway to improve the desire camera? i have tried taking the back off sill makes no difference, or not one that noticeable anyway.

this could be the breaking point for me and this phone.

my only real problem is the CAMERA.
is there anyway to improve the desire camera? i have tried taking the back off sill makes no difference, or not one that noticeable anyway.
this could be the breaking point for me and this phone.
If it looks awful with the back off, then it's not the cover over the lense. My Desire takes photos just as good as the iPhone 4 (see the other thread about taking nice photos). As Danfrance asked, what are the settings? You probably have something wrong, or the phone has gone wonky and a battery pull or reset is needed?

Upvote 0
If you are worried about colours have you looked at the white balance settings? You don't say where this picture of the red box was taken, but if you were using artificial light it might be worth looking at this. Many real cameras' auto white balances don't cope well with artificial light (my DSLR included), so I can't really hold it against a phone, and at least it does give you the option of adjusting it.

Upvote 0
You can adjust brightness and saturation etc by dragging out the options panel on the left. If you want over-saturated colours and whacky contrast, there are settings for it. ;) Don't mistake cameras with higher levels of automatic colour correction for 'Better' cameras, they just have different default software settings. Fiddle around, colour and contrast are the easiest things to change on an image.

Upvote 0
Try iso on 100 and meter on average .
I have contrast on - 1 and saturation and
sharpness on + 1 . Brightness on 0 .
I have taken some beautiful landscape photos
with these settings .
Im not terribly impressed with the camera either although its not a deal breaker for me, I will love my Desire till I die ;) But I have adjusted my settings to your recommendations and hope that its a bit better, thanks (I hope)

Upvote 0
Try iso on 100 and meter on average .
I have contrast on - 1 and saturation and
sharpness on + 1 . Brightness on 0 .
I have taken some beautiful landscape photos
with these settings .

Nice, I'll try those... BUT..... I'm not being chippy or anything, but while ISO100 is fine for nice landscape photos, the amateur photographer in me is saying that for indoor or low-light shots you should be using something like ISO400 or even higher. Do you keep the same setting s and hope for the best, or do you have different settings for different ISO levels?

Upvote 0
Like ANY mobile with a camera, you need to have optimal conditions to take decent photos. That means, not too much light, not too little, no fast moving objects, and an extremely steady hand. The flash is useless and makes things worse. With that in mind, you CAN take pretty good shots. Never expect a picture that of a real camera, especially SLR. Chromatic abberation is a big issue with these mobile lenses. But really, how much can you expect from that tiny little lens? We are talking about physical limitations here. Its actually pretty amazing how good they are, most due to some clever digital image processing. The Desire camera is no worse or better than most the phones in this price range. The ip4 certainly has no edge here, i would argue my Desire takes better images. HD video is also pretty damn impressive for this kind of optics.

Upvote 0
What are you viewing it on? Apart from the settings issue above IF you are viewing it on the phones screen you may be a bit disappointed (depends on your expectations I suppose) so try viewing it on a larger screen. I took identical shots with an i4 and a Desire and on the i4 it looked so much better, however, when I viewed them on my 24inch PC screen there was NO noticable difference :eek:

I then viewed them on my 40 inch HD telly and Desire image was better, granted neither pic would win any competitions as I was only doing a test so I didnt spend too much time on them......;)

SO, I wouldnt write it off unless the camera is faulty, in which case get it replaced!

Remember, professionals shoot hundreds (if not thousands) of images to get that ONE winning shot and EVEN then it gets photochopped to death.....to expect top images on a one shot point and shoot is over the top IMHO!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Remember, professionals shoot hundreds (if not thousands) of images to get that ONE winning shot and EVEN then it gets photochopped to death...

Depends on who is doing the photographing and what the subject is. Lots of photographers do take loads of shots and post-process the hell out of them. But lots also take pride in getting everything right in camera in as few shots as possible. Depends on the person and the situation. ;)

Upvote 0
"HD video is also pretty damn impressive for this kind of optics."

You almost had me convinced until you said that.... the HD frame rate is awful on the Desire, and often the picture freezes a couple of frames - absolutely no point having an HD feature on this device IMHO...

Camera? Meh - not bad outside, unusable in dark conditions - about run of the mill for most mobile devices, except mebbe the Nokia N8.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones