1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can no longer move apps to SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Jacob Malone, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jacob Malone

Jacob Malone Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Hi all,
    I have a Moto E 2nd Generation running on the latest version of android. Since it came with just 8gb of storage, I bought a 64gb Sandisk micro SD card and until recently used it to store apps by going to settings>apps>[app]>move to SD card. Now, for some reason, the 'move to sd card' button is just gone - it is no longer there despite a functioning SD card - this is really frustrating, as apps taking up a lot of space is part of the reason I bought the SD card so I don't want it to go to waste. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Did you do an update recently? What version is your phone on?

3. Jacob Malone

Jacob Malone Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    yeah I updated fairly recently to marshmallow 6.0

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I see. Marshmallow has the option to reformat the card to adoptable storage. Meaning the phone will see the card+internal memory as one drive. This is likely the reason why the option disappeared. I would suggest that you backup your app data, and all your stuff on your phone and go for a factory reset. Afterward, format the SD card (contents will be deleted, remember to backup), to adoptable storage. This will make your phone see the SD card and phone memory as one 72GB drive to which you can install apps to. Be warned that this will cause your SD card to be unusable on anything else other than the phone (meaning you can't take it out and transfer files, no other device will read it), and your phone may act problematic should the card fail while being used as adoptable storage. So make frequent backups once you do this.

Jacob Malone and Hadron like this.