1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Can not receive calls when G1 is accessing data!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jazzydan58, Nov 14, 2008.

1. jazzydan58

jazzydan58 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    I decided to purchase a G1 on a whim yesterday I quite liked the idea of one but was offered a pretty good deal on an upgrade (free phone and discounted line rental) so I carried it home and have been playing with it almost non stop, but! I have only just realised that I can not receive incoming calls!

After some detective work if my phone is accessing data using GPRS (the little g on the phone has arrows going up and down) then no one can call me!!!! (goes straight to voicemail) It seems to be fine if I am connected to 3G but I am in the UK and we dont have full 3G coverage so everytime i am in the 3G i can receive calls but if only using standard 2g/GPRS no phone calls!

I have managed to find only 1 or 2 other posts on forums on the whole of the web so could this have something to do with my simcard or do I need some sort of software update.

For the last 24 hours the G was showing up and downloads even though I was not doing anything, I have just realised that it was downloading the latest update from google but this has not fixed it for me.

Advertisement

2. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yep, that's a limitation of every GPRS/EDGE phone, not just the G1.

3. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Just whatever
    H-Town, sucka!
    Well, UMTS is supposed to fix this - should allow data/voice access at the same time. Also, this problem isn't evident on AT&T... Just T-Mobile. I've done tests on both networks, and AT&T gives priority to voice calls (or it used to anyway; haven't tested this in a while). :mad:

4. sleebus.jones

Sep 27, 2008
    Houston, TX
    GPRS/EDGE is not UMTS. :)

GPRS/EDGE = 2G
    UMTS = 3G

That's what UMTS works and GPRS/EDGE doesn't.

P.S. Love the avatar :D

5. richy240

Nov 1, 2008
    Just whatever
    H-Town, sucka!
    No, I get it, I just haven't tried voice and data at the same time on T-Mobile's UMTS network.

Thanks man, I like yours too! I keep meaning to change it up every week or so, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

AND YOU'RE FROM HOUSTON?!? What part man? I am too.

6. sleebus.jones

Sep 27, 2008
    Houston, TX
    wesssssssssssssssssside yo.

7. richy240

Nov 1, 2008
    Just whatever
    H-Town, sucka!
    Northwest here; Hwy 6 & 290.

But I digress...

8. leoadias

leoadias New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    I am using my G1 in Brazil and I cannot receive calls even using 3g network. I tried it on my city (edge) and another city with 3g (roaming) but the same error occours.

How can I disable data transfer to receive phone calls?

9. rssummers

rssummers New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    When I first got my G1 with RC30, when on Edge I could not recieve calls if Auto Sync was enabled. This issue occured weather I was syncing or not. If I disabled auto sync and rebooted the phone the issue went away. After recieving the RC33 update, the issue seems to be resolved.

Tags: