• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can not root phone.

Luka

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
I've been attempting to root my Eris, following the sticky at the top of the forum. It has proven to be impossible. I can not get by the USB driver portion of the tutorial. My phone is in debugging mode, but will not show up with an exclamation point no matter what I do, and Windows will not allow me to use the USB driver. I don't know if the tutorial is poorly explained or my phone is broken or corrupted but I've been having problems with it and was hoping the upgrade would fix said problems. Is it time for an iPhone?

Yes sir. I've rebooted the computer, the phone numerous times. Mounted and unmounted the SD Card from the phone OS, tried the phone mounted and unmounted in Windows. I can not access the phone through Windows explorer no matter which I choose. I am using Windows XP if that helps. The phone shows in my device manager when plugged in, but I can't access it as a storage device to enter the SD card and Windows will not allow me to use the driver update feature on the phone, giving me a message that the software is not compatible with the device.

Upvote 0
That's what I was afraid of... the phone itself has been struggling to text, my keyboard will vanish. I plugged it in to charge last night and it started calling random people from my contacts list and I actually had to shut it off and turn it back on to get it to stop, and that was in to the wall charger. If it is plugged in, the bottom of the screen stays highlighted so I can't text and it will open whatever program icon is in the bottom or upper left of the touch screen. I have a feeling I'm going to have a long fight with Verizon. The phone is only a month old, its never been dropped or abused in any manner, not even a scratch on it.

Upvote 0
Oh! A side note, I installed the lock screen fix update when it was released. Would that have anything to do with it? I don't know how strict security is with Android but I know with the Xbox and iPhone every system update has provisions to tighten security and prevent exploits and unlocking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones